Re: Email Performance, a discrepancy in numbers

RaulEr
Level 4

Email Performance, a discrepancy in numbers

Hi guys!

I'm using the Email Performance report from the Analytics tab.

So, in the Setup tab, I set the "Sent Date" to This Year, then I added the filter "Opened Email" while Email is any. Then I added the constraint "Is Mobile Device" as true and it showed me a total send of 556,993 and a 37% in the Open Rate.

Then I wanted to know the number of non-mobile people who opened our emails, so I switched the true for a false in the "Is Mobile Device" constraint. Now with only changing that, it showed a total send of 5,147,980 and a 38,4% on the Open Rate.

Why it is showing a different Total Send number?

4 REPLIES 4
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Well, if I'm not missing anything here, then the number changed as per the criteria (constraint, to be precise) in the filter from opened from a mobile device to opened not from a mobile device. Emails with activities as per the set smart list and setup in the report would only be shown in the email performance report.

RaulEr
Level 4

Thanks Darshil.

So is there a way I can get a list of all emails delivered in the year, and add a "is mobile device" column so I can filter it in an Excel spreadsheet?

Or is there an easier way to get this information within Marketo?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

So is there a way I can get a list of all emails delivered in the year, and add a "is mobile device" column so I can filter it in an Excel spreadsheet?

Email Delivered ages out of the logs after 90 days, so no.

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Yes, as Sandy mentions, you'd not be able to see the activities if you use the smart list filter, per Marketo's data retention policy:

Smart List filters referencing high-volume activities beyond their 90-day retention period or other activities beyond their 25-month retention period will not have the activity to reference. Results from any smart lists or campaigns that use filters to look for lead activities that occurred past their retention period will not show results from those activities. IMHO, opened email activity is retained for 25 months, and its filter (Opened Email) also has the "Is Mobile Device" constraint in it (as you mentioned in your question), so you should at least get an indicative idea of the split between mobile vs. desktop engagements. You can always use the bulk export activities API to get the open activities, as those will have the user agent, mobile device flag, etc. in them too.