Dynamic email content

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamic email content

Where does one start with dynamic email content? I reading about segments, tokens, etc.

Basically, my situation at hand is this:

Daily import of tradshow leads into Marketo. Each tradeshow lead is offered the oppertunity to download 3 seperate whitepapers.  Some may only choose 1, some all three, and others wont want any.

I have a basic system setup in marketo which is made up of a custom form field. I filter and send an email based on which whitepaper they have chosen. The email contains a download like to thier chosen whitepaper.

Now, as stated above, some will want more that one white paper, and in my current model, that means that those people would get a different email per whitepaper. I would prefer to have one email sent, with what they had requested.

My thought is this, a default "thank you for visitng us" email. This would be standard for those who have chosen zero white papers. Now, if an individual has chosen a single white paper, the email would say "thank you for visitng us" and include a link to download thier chosen white paper.  If they chose 2 different white papers, then it would be "thank you..." and supply 2 links to the 2 different whiet papers.

I'm not sure where to start, do I need to build segments somewhere, that is associated to the custom fileds I built?

Any direction on this would be helpful,

Thanks
Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dynamic email content

The Dynamic Links in Emails help article may provide some insight.

Depending on which option is selected, we have 6 zip files with combinations of 1, 2 or 3 whitepapers. We have a Change Data Value flow action with choices that changes the Document URL field value depending on which choice the user specified.  The resource delivery email has a token for this field that is populated with the correct URL when the email is sent.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dynamic email content

Interesting. However, I am not sure I fully understand, because I may have a different frame of mind happening here. I kinda see it. What does your link look like in the email?

Let me elaborate a bit more on my issue.

When an individuals badge is scanned on the tradeshow floor, they will be asked a question(s): "Which of these 3 white papers are you interested in?" They can choose any combonation, or none.

At the end of the day, I understand this information will be available to be imported into marketo. I am told it is up to us to define how the answers to the question are recorded. So, I defined them as:

White Paper One
White Paper Two
White Paper Three
No White Paper

(obviously, not the real names, just for this example)

At this point, I now need to associate this with a URL to the PDF

In Marketo, under "flow" I've setup a sendmail that is like this:

choice 1
if: [tradeshow whitepaper] [is] [white paper one]
Email [myemail that contains the proper link to white paper one]

choice 2
if: [tradeshow whitepaper] [is] [white paper two]
Email [myemail that contains the proper link to white paper two]

choice 3
if: [tradeshow whitepaper] [is] [white paper two]
Email [myemail that contains the proper link to white paper three]

Obviously, this will send an individual 3 links, if he has chosen all three.

I also need to send those who have not made a choice, a generic "thank you for attending" email.

So I thought I could setup a generic "Thank You" email, (for those who have not made a choice), and for the others who DID make a choice(s), "show/hide" a content area in that same email, with the link(s) to thier chosen white paper.

Does that make sense?