Re: Click-to-Call

Amanda_Berryann
Level 1

Click-to-Call

Hello,
Does anyone have experience with adding a click-to-call option in their Marketo emails?  How did you do it?  Does it require some sort of add on?

Thanks!
Amanda
Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You need to use the html tag:

tel:+1.800.000.0000

and the person must be on a mobile or have a call plugin installed for that to really work.
Anonymous
Not applicable

But due to the tracking code Marketo adds to the end of all links, this breaks the click-to-call functionality as it adds more characters for the phone to dial.

It's possible to circumvent this issue by not tracking those links. But is there a way to have functional click-to-call links while also being able to track those clicks?
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do we use this html code if we are using a token phone number?

Anonymous
Not applicable

It would look like this:
<a href="tel:+{{lead.Phone Number:default=edit me}}">{{lead.Phone Number:default=edit me}}</a>
The "edit me" parts are for a default value in case there's no phone number for the lead.

But again, you'll have to make sure to remove tracking from that link so that Marketo doesn't add its tracking token to the URL. Otherwise, that'll become part of the phone number to be dialed.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did anyone ever figure out a workaround to get this to work? I haven't had any luck yet, but I'm very interested in doing this for one of my clients.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Adding class='mktNoTok' to the HREF doesn't work for you?

Works on my mobile, at least.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the suggestion; I'll try that out. Not sure why that didn't occur to me!

Liliana_Cheng1
Level 4

Hey Sanford, it was nice to meet you at last month's MUG NY discussion!

Will adding class = "mktNoTok" prevent Marketo being able to report on the click-to-call? We're using lead owner phone number in this HREF, and we want to know how many clicks per lead owner phone number there were.

Weirdly enough, all of my test mobile emails clicked-to-call without the appended tokens, however, my coworker saw appended tokens to his tel HREF. Wonder if it has to do with platform...

Thanks!

Liliana

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

'mktNoTok' doesn't turn off click reporting and for the purposes of tel: URLs is completely safe. (On the other hand, 'mktNoTrack' would turn off click reporting, since it means people don't bounce off the branding domain at all.)

Interpretation of tel: with an unexpected query string indeed varies by platform.