SOLVED

Re: Changing Company Name of SFDC Contact in Marketo

Go to solution
Matt_Stone2
Level 9

Changing Company Name of SFDC Contact in Marketo

Quick question about the expected behavior when dealing with Salesforce Contacts attached to Accounts. Once a Contact, the Company Name field is not editable in Marketo via the Lead screen, but you can still "modify" it via the Change Data Value flow step. The change shows in the activity log, but doesn't actually modify the field value anywhere -- this is the expected behavior, right?

I assume this is the case since Marketo isn't modifying the Account itself and that's where the Contact is drawing the Company Name from, but I thought it was odd that the activity log still shows it as if it changed (and it also never shows the sync correcting it afterward).

Example:

John Doe is a Contact in Salesforce on the "ACME" Account. In Marketo, I use a lead action to change John's Company Name to "Coca Cola." In John's activity log in Marketo, I see the lead action having executed successfully, but nowhere else on his lead fields is the change reflected. After the next sync with Salesforce, there's no change reflected in the activity log, suggesting that while the log said the action was successful, it actually wasn't and nothing was ever changed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Matt,

This is the expected behavior, and I agree it is weird that Marketo registers the change: it should block it...

The next time the account is sync'ed (when it is updated in SFDC, for any reason) the value in Marketo will be set back to the SFDC value.

-Greg

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Matt,

This is the expected behavior, and I agree it is weird that Marketo registers the change: it should block it...

The next time the account is sync'ed (when it is updated in SFDC, for any reason) the value in Marketo will be set back to the SFDC value.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

So I'm assuming that the SFDC Account name takes priority over any values that Marketo sets with regards to Company Name. Am I understanding correctly?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Yes this is correct.

-Greg