SOLVED

Change data value to query string?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Change data value to query string?

Greetings

I'm triggering on page visits I need to get the query string from a page visit into a lead field. For example, If the lead visits http://www.example.com/?foo=bar, I need Example Field to be changed to "foo=bar". Is this possible?

Thanks
Charlie
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Change data value to query string?

@Charles T I don't see your question really being answered yet, despite this being "Solved."

The most precise answer IMO is to create a Forms 2.0 form, which can easily set fields on the Lead using data from the query string. (When you add a hidden field, you always have the option to have the field pop'd from query string or cookie.)  Then embed the form and auto-submit it.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

sure, use Vists Web Page + Querystring.

You might need to look at Original Referrer too.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I assume you mean the Querystring contraint. That defeats the purpose of writing to a field. If I know what's in the already know what's in the query string, than I can just run my flow on the lead accordingly. I'm trying to make a campaign that will take any query string and write it to a field so that I can watch the field for updates and do different things according to value gets written to the field.
Chris_Francis
Level 4

If you have the ability to edit your page html and javascript, you can get more precise control by using the Munchkin tracking API.

Use Javascript to read and parse your querystring and then trigger Marketo Munchkin Event to a "non-existent" page that you can track.

Munchkin.munchkinFunction('visitWebPage', {
    url: '/CustomEvents/{Parameter}/{Value}'
});

Where {Parameter} and {Value} are custom values.  The entire URL can be whatever you want.

Then in your campaign you can should be able to trigger based on Vists Web Page = "/CustomEvents/foo/bar"

SanfordWhiteman

@Charles T I don't see your question really being answered yet, despite this being "Solved."

The most precise answer IMO is to create a Forms 2.0 form, which can easily set fields on the Lead using data from the query string. (When you add a hidden field, you always have the option to have the field pop'd from query string or cookie.)  Then embed the form and auto-submit it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ooh, that's good, thanks!. Going by Chris's answer, I can use the "Web Site" choice in my flow and get around the need to write to a field. The only thing I don't like about your answer is that will put a form fill activity on my lead records. It does answer the question of how to get those values into fields, though, which was my original question, so I'm labeling this as Best Answer.
SanfordWhiteman

I don't care about the Best Answer (okay, just a little bit) but want to show it can be done straightforwardly. When we use auto-submit forms we make sure the form is prefixed with "Hidden", "Silent", "AutoUpdate", etc. to set it apart. With the Munchkin call, that's also cool, but it means another Munchkin Viewed Web Page or Clicked Link activity as well (for a page that was already logged at Munchkin.init()).