SOLVED

Campaign trigger for alternating flow actions

Go to solution
jnkrochman
Level 2

Campaign trigger for alternating flow actions

Hi friends,

I am trying to create a SC that when triggered, alternates the following flow step.

Example: SC is triggered by data value being updated. When Triggered, Flow step 1 calls a webhook. Then, the next time a data value is updated, I want the flow step to alternate to Flow step two, and call a different webhook. I want the action following the trigger to alternate or cycle through a series in succession. 

Any ideas on how to accomplish this, either with one or multiple smart campaigns?

The purpose of this is to trigger alternating webhooks based on the same trigger action to divide and send the associated lead information among two different destinations evenly. If possible I would love to be able to enhance this and divide among 2+ destinations if a cycled series is possible. I appreciate your help friends!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Campaign trigger for alternating flow actions

Say person 1 goes through the flow and gets webhook 2

Person 2 rolls around and now gets webhook 1

person 3 comes through and gets webhook 2

NOW say person 2 comes in again, they again get webhook 1 because the previous trigger (person 3) got webhook 2.
Say person 2 comes in a third time, they would now get webhook 2, because webhook 1 was previously called.

There’s no built-in ability to round-robin the same person among different flow choices each time they enter the campaign.

However, it’s pretty easy to build out yourself.

Create a custom Number field called Last Round Robin Flow Choice.* Use the that field in Add Choice on the Call Webhook flow step, then use Change Data Value to update it each time, so in this case it goes 1-2-1-2-1...

* obviously use a name that’s closely tied to this particular task

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
SanfordWhiteman

Are you trying to alternate between flow options for the same Marketo Person?

That is, if Person A runs through now they get step 1a, if Person A runs through later they get step 1b, etc.

jnkrochman
Level 2

Good day,

I appreciate your reply and question. To answer, no. They can go to either every time they enter the flow, but they can only enter either flow once within 24 hours. So if they enter flow at all, they cannot be sent to either destination (not wait step, just plain skipped) for the next 24hours should they enter the flow at all again.

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Interesting use-case! Do you want the alternating behavior on CDV to change across all people (i.e., for the first CDV, call webhook 1, for the next CDV call webhook 2, and repeat. Note the next CDV may or may not be on the same person record) or an alternating behavior if the same person gets qualified for the trigger more than once?

jnkrochman
Level 2

Good day,

I appreciate your reply and question, you nailed it in your first sentence. Call webhook 1, for the next call webhook 2, then repeat, back to 1, back to 2, etc...

If they same person were to go through the flow again, they would again be distributed based on whatever webhook was called previously (not on themselves, but just whoever went through the flow before them)

NOW say person 2 comes in again, they again get webhook 1 because the previous trigger (person 3) got webhook 2.
Say person 2 comes in a third time, they would now get webhook 2, because webhook 1 was previously called.

SanfordWhiteman

There’s no built-in ability to round-robin the same person among different flow choices each time they enter the campaign.

However, it’s pretty easy to build out yourself.

Create a custom Number field called Last Round Robin Flow Choice.* Use the that field in Add Choice on the Call Webhook flow step, then use Change Data Value to update it each time, so in this case it goes 1-2-1-2-1...

* obviously use a name that’s closely tied to this particular task

jnkrochman
Level 2

This is genius! Thank you, I will try to implement it. You have been most helpful I am grateful.

SanfordWhiteman

Sure thing!