SOLVED

Campaign Tracking Basics

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Campaign Tracking Basics

Hello! I've been using Marketo since July and setting up an online advertising campaign for the first time. Our ad is going to run in an email newsletter once a week through the end of the year. There is also a corresponding print ad with a vanity URL. In Salesforce I set up a Parent campaign and then subcampaigns for each week the ad will run.  In Marketo, I was going to set up a separate program for each weekly run as well, and one for the print ad with the vanity URL.

• Is this the right approach to setting up these campaigns for tracking purposes to see results by week?
  • Do I need a separate link for each week's ad?
  • I don't understand how to use Google Analytics tracking code in Marketo. I've been doing research but it's too much detailed info I don't have time to dig into. I just need the basics of how to track these campaigns through to Salesforce.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. We're hiring a Digital Marketing Manager at our St. Pete, FL office! I obviously need help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kristen_Malkov1
Level 8

Re: Campaign Tracking Basics

Hi Pia,

I think your approach with separate programs and campaigns is spot on for reporting individually.

I would create a separate link for each week's ad, although you could easily just alter the UTM parameters so that it reflect's the corresponding ad. No need to go and create a TON of new links.

In case you want to dive into it, here is the Google Analytics URL builder. Google Analytics URL Builder

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Kristen_Malkov1
Level 8

Hi Pia,

I think your approach with separate programs and campaigns is spot on for reporting individually.

I would create a separate link for each week's ad, although you could easily just alter the UTM parameters so that it reflect's the corresponding ad. No need to go and create a TON of new links.

In case you want to dive into it, here is the Google Analytics URL builder. Google Analytics URL Builder

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Kristen! How/where do I alter the UTM parameters? Do you mean just create one google analytics URL and then just modify it for each campaign? For example, the first one runs on 10/15, so I generated the following:

http://pages.yourmembership.com/pig.html?utm_source=asae&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=pig&utm_cont...

And each subsequent week I could just change the content piece to 10-22, then the following week to 10-29 as follows?

http://pages.yourmembership.com/pig.html?utm_source=asae&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=pig&utm_cont...

just want to make sure I'm getting this right. Thanks again!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, I'm going to sound really ignorant here, but how do I capture the generated link info for each campaign?