SOLVED

Re: Bounced Emails

Go to solution
Tridev
Level 1

Bounced Emails

Hi all!
I wanted to know by default does Marketo have any retry mechanism for the soft bounced as well as the hard bounced emails. I am aware that we can have a bounce management program created but wanted to be aware if Marketo has some default retry mechanism in place?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Like Darshil says, for temporary errors there's a backoff algorithm. It looks like this (this is from actual Marketo sends):

2021-03-12-02_47_36-Packet-Sender---mktotrace---01

However, this does not apply to immediate bounces. A hard error due to a nonexistent user (at a domain that can otherwise receive email) will not retry, by definition.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

From what I know of Marketo like most other senders, does re-try sending the failed deliveries. The failed messages remain in the queue for ~24-36 hours during which the sender attempts to deliver the message at a multiplicatively decreasing rate (i.e., after every failed try, the Exponential backoff algorithm waits longer than before for retrying).

Tridev
Level 1

Ahh thanks! Have my query cleared.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Like Darshil says, for temporary errors there's a backoff algorithm. It looks like this (this is from actual Marketo sends):

2021-03-12-02_47_36-Packet-Sender---mktotrace---01

However, this does not apply to immediate bounces. A hard error due to a nonexistent user (at a domain that can otherwise receive email) will not retry, by definition.

Tridev
Level 1

Thanks! This definitely helps!!

Katja_Keesom
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

The guys are of course 100% right. When you look at your email performance report, you will see a column "Pending". The number of people shown there are the ones where retries are still in progress. You will see that indeed after a day or two this column will be reduced to 0.