Tracking Clicks Link on Landing Pge

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tracking Clicks Link on Landing Pge

Hi,

I have put a link to an event registration page on one of our landing pages. So the reader will follow these steps:

1) Receive email from us - describing event.
2) Click link in email to be taken to a marketo landing page - which contains a competition (form) and a link to register for the event.

We want to be able to track who has registered. So I set up a smart campaign with the filters 'Clicks link - contains: then pasted the entire URL (minus the http://) and 'visited web page - name of marketo landing page which hosts the link to register.'
The registration link is on the event's website so is not a marketo page. Is this why I can't select it in the smart campaign?

The link wasn't on the list so wasn't an option for me to select -  I had to paste the link into it. I just tested it and looked to see if my status in progression had changed to 'registered' but it hasn't - so the campaign hasn't worked.

Is there a way around this?

Thanks,

Jess
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Nicole_Mossinge
Level 7

Re: Tracking Clicks Link on Landing Pge

Hi Jessica:

Based on the scenario you describe, there are three events that you can track:

1. They click on the lilnk in your email
2. They visit the landing page (which is a direct result of the above; therefore it might not be worth tracking separately)
3. They fill out the form

You can create listening campaigns for each of these activities, if you like - but you need to have corresponding progression statuses in your Channel, so you can record this progress.

Providing the progression statuses have been added to your channel, your campaigns would be:

1. SmartList: Trigger (not filter) "Clicks Link in Email" (specify the email and the specific link you are looking for), then Flow: "Change Status in Progression" to: "Clicked".

2. SmartList: Trigger: "Visits Web Page" (specify the landing page you are looking for), then Flow: Change Status in Progression to: "Visited Landing Page" (this requires a progression to be added to your Channel, if you really want to track it).

3. SmartList: Trigger (not filter) "Fills out Form" (specify the form and the landing page it is on), then Flow: "Change Status in Progression" to: "Converted".

To reference a landing page you built in Marketo - you don't have to use its URL - just use the Marketo asset name, which consists of the Program Name that the landing page is in, a "dot", and the name you gave the asset inside the Program.

Hope this helps!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Nicole,

Thanks for your reply. Yes each of the scenarios above is easily tracked using campaigns, however the problem I'm encountering is tracking who clicks on the link on the landing page.

This step is missing from above so as you described:

1. They click on the lilnk in your email
2. They visit the landing page (which is a direct result of the above; therefore it might not be worth tracking separately)
3. They fill out the form (to enter a competition)
4. They click on the link to take them to the registration page to register for the event.

This is what I can't seem to track. The link on the landing page is to an external site, so am not sure if this is the problem?

Jess

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have encountered this same problem on multiple occasions. I cannot even locate and select a "Clicks Link in a Marketo Landing Page" which seems like a very common need. Interested to hear more suggestions here.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Ron,

Apologies for this late response...I passed this to our Marketo support contact who informed me that she removed the parameter 'eventid=52176&' from the link - which Marketo didn't seem to recognise. Other than that, not sure what the issue was. Might be worth posting a new discussion if you continue to encounter the same problem.