"Member of Program" Choice

Anonymous
Not applicable

"Member of Program" Choice

First of all, I cannot find a good list of definitions for the various Triggers/Filters/Choices in Marketo. Less of a How To Guide and more of a System Documentation thing. I'd expect to see a document with a table defining what all of these options mean. There are nuances to them that shouldn't require interpretation. If anyone has a link, please send along.

I am working on a Flow inside a Smart Campaign that is nested within a Program. When I add a Choice I see a "Member of Program" option. Does this mean "Member of THIS Program" or "Member of ANY Program"? Big difference.
Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: "Member of Program" Choice

Anonymous
Not applicable

Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

Hey Scott,

In a Flow Step choice Member of Program can refer to a specific program which you designate.  The Program Status constraint, however, specifically refers to the parent program of the campaign.  If you need to reference program status in an external program you will need to create an external smart list with the Member of Program filter, and designate the status which you want.  Then inside of the flow step you will need to use the Member of Smart list filter referencing that external smart list.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kenny, that's what I thought Member of Program would do, but when I choose it, all I get is a true/false option. Not the ability to choose a program. 

The picture below is a work-in-progress. Prior to this, I only had what you see as Choice #2. You'll see that, in Choice 1 of the picture, I only have a true/false option. Does that mean Member of THIS program or ANY program?

0EM50000000RNi2.jpg

Whether I have the best design going on right now, I'd like to know the meaning of that Choice option.

My design is driven by the fact that we have leads from AppExchange going directly into Salesforce (instead of routing through Marketo). We have no choice but to deal with that flow of data. This Smart Campaign is dealing with new/merged leads where we want to send an email to them each time they do something even if we've emails them in the past. I currently have it so we set their status to Visited when we send the email and Engaged when they open it. The Choice part in here is because I did not want to set someone back to Visited from Engaged. I could not find any documentation about whether someone can move backwards in a Program Status, so I figured they could and was trying to stop them.

Kenneth_Elking1
Level 3

Hey Scott,

Inside of that flow step, 'Member of Program' refers to 'Member of THIS Program' and Program Status can be thought of as Status in THIS Program.  It is not possible for leads/contacts to move backwards in progression status, however, so you don't need to be concerned with that.
Anonymous
Not applicable

"It is not possible for leads/contacts to move backwards in progression status"

Thanks for that answer. My not knowing that (and, for some reason, not asking the community) is the root of my issue.