30 Trial/Drip Campaign Help Needed...

Anonymous
Not applicable

30 Trial/Drip Campaign Help Needed...

Hi Everyone,

So I am looking for some advice/validation on setting up a 30 Day Trial campaign for my company PointDrive. In short we are launching our "pro plan" in a few weeks, but anyone that has and will sign up will be put into a 30 trial drip campaign.

I'm basically looking to do the following:
  1. 4 Days after they sign up for the trial we will send Email 1 (we actually send 1st welcome email from our app so technically this is #2)
  2. 12 Days in we will send email 2
  3. 7 Days Remaining we will send email 3
  4. Finally when the 30 day mark hits we will send the final email.
Here is what I am having trouble with. Ideally I would like to look at a certain field PD_Start_Date and start the campaign based on that date...we are not fully automated with the API (been focused on getting product done first) so I have to, for the time being upload daily. If I miss a day and I am only looking at the date someone was added to the program that throws everything off. So basically need that Start Date Field to be the trigger to start this campaign. The second thing is that I need to continually look to see if the account type has gone from Trial to Paid account at anytime within that 30 day window, so I can remove them from the program all together...the emails in this program will strictly be trying to get them to sign up/pay for the pro version.

So what I am looking for is any advice on the best way to do this...maybe super easy, relatively new to Marketo..we've bee signed up for a few months, just have had no real reason until now to do the more complex stuff marketo can do. This is what I set up so far...should I set up a seperate program to sniff out trial to paid for example or do I do that under each email/program? Should I even do it like this? Goal is to try and do this the best way so we don't have to redo it later cause I screwed it up. I set up wait steps for each...4 days, 12 days and so on..but it is not looking at that PD_Start_Date field..not sure how to do that.

0EM50000000RNsP.jpg

We need to be continually looking/sniffing for new users so we can start this on time so it matches our apps 30 day countdown....I've been told the API will be coming soon so I want to build for that.

Thanks in advance, appreciate any feedback/tips/help.

Craig B.
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Delinda_Tinkey1
Level 5

Re: 30 Trial/Drip Campaign Help Needed...

Hi Craig - Marketo's engagement program feature may be more powerful than what you need for this use case. It's useful if you need leads to jump to various content tracks depending on their behavior, but in this case the timing of the trial period is more important. Plus, with an engagement program the emails are sent at the same day/time for every lead in the program rather than the personalized timing you described.

What if you did everything through one smart campaign?:

Smart List:
  • Trigger : Data Value is changed, value is PD_Start_Date, new value is today

Flow:
  • Send Welcome Email
  • Wait 4 Days
  • Use "Remove from Flow" action. If account type is Paid account, remove from flow. Otherwise, do nothing
  • Send Email #1
  • Wait 8 Days (now it's day 12)
  • If account type is Paid acount, remove from flow. Otherwise, do nothing
  • Send Email #2
  • Wait 11 Days (now it's day 23)
  • Send Email #3
  • Wait 7 Days (now it's day 30)
  • Send Final Email
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I like Delinda's answer to this. I wrote about Engagements vs. Drip last month because a number of people are in your situation where an Engagement isn't really what they need.

http://www.slideshare.net/jdavidhill/marketo-engagements-and-drip-nurturing-boston-user-group-dec-10-2013

One option for Delinda's workflow is to have the Remove option be a sister campaign (akin to Traffic Cop) and have it listen for

Data Value Changes IS "Paid"
Remove from Engagement 

that way you pull the lead out immediately, instead of waiting for the next Send Choice. It's an option if the drip becomes more complicated.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Guys,

First off thank you very much for the input and sorry for the slow response...just getting back on this now. So I am trying to set up what Delinda recommended (thanks again) but I would like to also do what you recommended Josh by putting that Data Value Change to Paid in a sister campaign...I have a feeling down the line the drip could get more complicated. So you can probably guess my next question..how do I do that?

I've set this up so far:
0EM50000000RO7G.jpg

Flow Looks Like this:

0EM50000000RO7L.jpg

And the sister Campaign I have set up to look for that data value looks like this:

0EM50000000RO7Q.jpg

With the flow step being:
0EM50000000RO7V.jpg

So Guess my question...Am I even in the ballpark by doing it like this? And how do I look for "Today's Date" Daily to start the whole process?

Thanks again to both of you for you input, really has been very helpful...and hopefully on right path to this point.

CB