SOLVED

Email Progression Steps

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Email Progression Steps

I'm struggling with the basic concept of steps within an email blast.

1. WHAT IS A TIE?

What does it mean to have a tie with steps? For example, Marketo's tutorial shows the following:

Clicked 10
Opened 10
Sent 10
Converted 20
Unsubscribed 30

They say:

Step: The Step number reflects the sequence a leads moves through Progression statuses. Steps represented with an equal number are weighted the same (considered a tie) and a lead can step through any of the steps before moving to the next.

I simply don't understand what the EFFECT is of these tied steps. Why wouldn't I create them in the following way:

Sent 10
Opened 20
Clicked 30
Converted 40
Unsubscribed 50

2. STEPS FOR BOUNCED AND DELIVERED?

Should I be creating steps for bounced and delivered? Example:

Sent 10
Bounced 20
Delivered 30
Opened 40
Clicked 50
Converted 60
Unsubscribed 70

3. TOTAL SENDS IN REPORTS

When I look at the summary of an email blast with Marketo's progression steps, The "Sent" is the total number of sends minus anyone who did anything after that (clicked, unsubscribed, etc.). Therefore, it looks like the only place to see the total number of real sends for the campaign is under "Total Members." Is this correct? Does "Total Members" appear in reports? I think a report might end up confusing some team members if it shows only 200 were sent, but 1050 were clicked.

I am new to Marketo and I very much appreciate your help!
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Email Progression Steps

This discussion carried over to this thread, which helped answer my questions: https://community.marketo.com/MarketoDiscussionDetail?id=90650000000PmbMAAS

Thank you, Cheryl and Jeffrey!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Keller,

If you are trying to send out a single email, I would suggest you use a relatively new feature called the Email Program.  It's really easy to set up, and has a nice visual dashboard to get all the email metrics you need.  Here is an article to learn more.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your response.

We do use the Email Program feature. However, it is not tracking progression steps and in the Office Hours call this morning, the Marketo trainer told me I will still need to set up progression steps when using that feature.

Also, if the email sends visitors to a landing page that we want to track conversions on, we'll need progression steps, correct?
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also really need to understand the tied concept for other types of channels as well. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Progression status in not required to send an email. You can see all the open and click information in the actual email or program summary dashboard and in the email performance report. 

Progression status is used within a program to determine how a lead has progressed in a program. E.g. in a webinar email progression steps are used to determine how many people got invited, registered for the event, attended the event, etc. 

A tie is what happens when two progressions statuses are weighted the same and it essentially allows for a user to complete either one of the two steps before moving to the next progression step. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

This discussion carried over to this thread, which helped answer my questions: https://community.marketo.com/MarketoDiscussionDetail?id=90650000000PmbMAAS

Thank you, Cheryl and Jeffrey!