SOLVED

Communication limits & API

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Communication limits & API

Are there any Marketo gurus out there who have played with communications limits to see how messages that are initiated via API calls affect the delivery of other messages from Marketo?

My guess is that API-based messages are treated as "operational" and not controlled by overall communications limits; my hope is that they *do* count towards an individual lead's overall daily or weekly limits for the purposes of gating or taking priority over non-operational messages.

Anyone tested this or found related documentation?  I've looked around, but not found anything yet.

Thanks,
-patrick
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Communication limits & API

Patrick
The type of email - "Operational"/"Marketing" is a setting on the email and not tied to how the email is sent (via API or from the application).  If you send a Marketing email using the APIs, these will count against the communication limit.

Raj

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Patrick
The type of email - "Operational"/"Marketing" is a setting on the email and not tied to how the email is sent (via API or from the application).  If you send a Marketing email using the APIs, these will count against the communication limit.

Raj
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Raj -

That makes sense for the use case where an email is built an approved in Marketo and an API call just tells Marketo to go ahead and send it to someone.

I haven't dug into Marketo's API yet, but isn't there also a case where everything (content, recipient, sender, subject, etc.) is set via the API and Marketo is just delivering the message, meaning that the message doesn't actually exist anywhere in Marketo, only the delivery?  Or do all emails that are called and sent via API need to exist somewhere in Marketo, even if it's just as a blank placeholder that gets populated by info passed via API?

Thanks!

-patrick
Anonymous
Not applicable

Patrick,
Yes, you can send all the info in using APIs, but the info is put into an existing email asset before it is sent out (the latter option).  As the setting of "Operational"/"Marketing" is on the email asset, the system will always know how to treat an outgoing message.

Raj
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Raj - that's everything I needed to know!

-patrick