2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2014 10:06 AM by 6fbb190527133b8f6de483ec33926fbdb27af889

Modify Munchkin code on landing pages?

I’m just setting up our own (responsive webdesign) template for landing pages. As far as I could see analyzing the standard templates, the Munchkin tracking code is rendered on a landing page as part of the $mContext['endElements'] output which is included via PHP.

Now my question is: Is there a way to modify or enhance the Munchkin code which is included via the $mContext['endElements'] output?

Or if this is not possible: Is there a way to get hold of the two parameters (“
      customName” and “wsInfo”) which are in cluded in the Munchkin code call via the $mContext['endElements'] output? So I could use them in a custom Munchkin code call? Or are there more parameters which I couldn’t see in my test yet?

Here’s the reason why I want to do this:

As a German company we have to be compliant with German privacy laws. This means: Every web tracking system (which the Marketo Munchkin code is) we use on our site has to offer an Opt-out option, so anonymous visitors can choose to turn off being tracked.

Marketo doesn’t offer such a system by default. So I built one. In our new privacy policy (which isn’t online yet) I will include a “Marketo tracking opt-out” link. When an anonymous web lead clicks this link the Marketo tracking cookie “
      _mkto_trk” for our domain is deleted and a new cookie “marketoTrackingOptOut” is set.

To prevent a new “_mkto_trk” to be set for an anonymous web lead which has opted out and has the “marketoTrackingOptOut” cookie stored in the browser, I have to modify the Munchkin call: The “cookieAnon: false” option has to be included if – and only if – the “marketoTrackingOptOut” cookie is present.

One way of doing this is a simple piece of JavaScript which replaces the original Munchkin code:

<script src='//munchkin.marketo.net/munchkin.js'></script>
      <script type="text/javascript">
        function getCookie(c){var b=document.cookie;var e=c+"=";var d=b.indexOf("; "+e);if(d==-1){d=b.indexOf(e);if(d!=0){return null}}else{d+=2;var a=document.cookie.indexOf(";",d);if(a==-1){a=b.length}}return unescape(b.substring(d+e.length,a))};
        var myCookie = getCookie('marketoTrackingOptOut');
        if (myCookie == null) {
          Munchkin.init('###-###-###');
        } else {
          Munchkin.init('###-###-###', { cookieAnon: false });
        }
      </script>

This works perfectly on our website. But to prevent new tracking cookies to be seton landing pages when visited by anonymous web leads who opted out, this if-then rule based on the existence of the “marketoTrackingOptOut” has to be incorporated in landing page templates, too. If I just use the above piece of JavaScript instead of the <?php echo $mContext['endElements']; ?> call I don’t get the “Program Type” and “Program Name” information as details of a known leads visit of this particular landing page.

I don’t know yet if I really need these two pieces of information in my reports. But it would be cool if there is an easy way to use my cookie-based enhanced Munchkin call on landing pages without having to omit the above mentioned additional information.
        • Re: Modify Munchkin code on landing pages?
          Josh Hill
          Michael,

Go to admin > munchkin and set Ignore Privacy to False.

But also look for Adam Waterston's slides on EU privacy and cookies from 2013 or 2014. He did an excellent job implementing a system to deal with this.

Also check out developer.marketo.com for details on Munchkin code.
          • Re: Modify Munchkin code on landing pages?
            Hi Josh,

in the admin section I only see settings for “do not track“ requests. While this is nice, it’s not sufficient for German regulations because older browser versions don’t support the “do not track” headers.

I really have to respond to a tracking opt-out cookie. With a few lines of PHP this would be easy. But custom PHP is not possible on Marketo landing pages.

So I developed a working JavaScript solution:

<noscript id="myEndElements">
              <?php echo $mContext['endElements']; ?>
            </noscript>
            <script>
              function escapeRegExp(string) { return string.replace(/([.*+?^=!:${}()|\[\]\/\\])/g, "\\$1"); }
              function replaceAll(string, find, replace) { return string.replace(new RegExp(escapeRegExp(find), 'g'), replace); }
              function getCookie(c){var b=document.cookie;var e=c+"=";var d=b.indexOf("; "+e);if(d==-1){d=b.indexOf(e);if(d!=0){return null}}else{d+=2;var a=document.cookie.indexOf(";",d);if(a==-1){a=b.length}}return unescape(b.substring(d+e.length,a))};

var myMarketoEndElementsIn = document.getElementById('myEndElements').innerHTML;
              var myCookie = getCookie('marketoTrackingOptOut');
              var myMarketoEndElementsOut = '';

if (myCookie == null) {
                myMarketoEndElementsOut = myMarketoEndElementsIn;
              } else {
                myMarketoEndElementsOut = myMarketoEndElementsIn.replace("Munchkin.init('###-###-###', {", "Munchkin.init('###-###-###', {cookieAnon: false, ");
              }
              myMarketoEndElementsOut = replaceAll(myMarketoEndElementsOut, '&lt;', '<');
              myMarketoEndElementsOut = replaceAll(myMarketoEndElementsOut, '&gt;', '>');
              document.write(myMarketoEndElementsOut);
            </script>

The script picks up the $mContext['endElements'] output which is inserted inside a <noscript> element – and thus not executed while JavaScript is enabled. Then it alters only the required part of the Munchkin call and inserts the altered $mContext['endElements'] output into the DOM – so the Munchkin scripts are executed instantly.

As far as I could test it this solution works fine. 
            The only minor drawback is that the “marketoTrackingOptOut” cookie is ignored if JavaScript is disabled. But I can live with that ;-)