SOLVED

If several leads/prospects share 1 email address like info@ will they get the email message more than once?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

If several leads/prospects share 1 email address like info@ will they get the email message more than once?

I have the campaign rule set, so that each lead only recieves the email 1 time, however, does that mean each lead or each email address? I might have 3 people at 1 company that uses the email address info@xyz. My smart list might pull all 3 contacts into my program, but when it comes time to send, I want to know if the rule is set to send to 1 email 1 time. 
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Edward_Masson
Level 10

Re: If several leads/prospects share 1 email address like info@ will they get the email message more than once?

Calene H is correct.
The lead with the recent ModStamp.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Edward_Masson
Level 10

Re: If several leads/prospects share 1 email address like info@ will they get the email message more than once?

If the lead was created in SFDC and there is 3 lead records using the same email address (info@) then 3 leads come over to Marketo. If all 3 are added to a smart campaign to send an email, only one email will go out! (can't do much prevention when leads use a distributed email address like info@, who knows how many emails address sit behind info@).

Set for 1 email address per activity not lead. Same for uploading leads in a CSV file, if you have dupes, they will get merged into one record.

Marketo won't create dupes but will accept a dupe from you SFDC.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Edward, then how does Marketo decide which of the 3 should get the email?

My understanding was that if you have 3 contacts with the same email address:
  1. John info@email.com
  2. Katy info@email.com
  3. Ben info@email.com
Then info@email.com will get 3 emails in the same mailbox:
  1. "Hi John,"
  2. "Hi Katy,"
  3. "Hi Ben,"
If not, then which leads gets it, and which don't?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you both so much for your timely weighin on this question!! I am looking forward to hearing the final peice to this puzzle that Grant referenced for me. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

My understanding is that when there are duplciate leads based on email address, only one email will go out, and it will be sent to the lead that was most recently updated. So in Grant's example, if John has the most recent update date, one email will go out to info@ and any tokens will pull John's info.

Edward_Masson
Level 10

Calene H is correct.
The lead with the recent ModStamp.