SOLVED

Google Chrome phasing out cookies by 2022

Go to solution
Natalie_Skarzyn
Level 2

Google Chrome phasing out cookies by 2022

Google Chrome Will Phase Out Third-Party Cookies by 2022 – Adweek 

Google has announced a 2-year timeline for phasing out third-party cookies. Curious to hear from Marketo: How will this affect Munchkin? 

And curious to hear from other marketers in the community: How is this change affecting your plans and strategies in general?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Google Chrome phasing out cookies by 2022

First of all, Marketo Munchkin cookies are first-party cookies. They are referred to sometimes as first-party cookies used in a third-party context, which makes them more vulnerable to tracking protection measures. But they are not third-party cookies, that would completely change the definition.

I've responded in several other threads what to worry about and not worry about w/r/t cookies, please search for those.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Jay_Jiang
Level 10

I'm thinking Google won't shoot itself in the foot. It will prepare something in parallel so it can captialise on the change (maybe like becoming a wholesaler of first party data?).  Whether or not the whole ad tech industry bows their head and falls in line, wait and see...

"And as with anything we’ll have to wait and see if it will benefit Google more than others."

SanfordWhiteman

First of all, Marketo Munchkin cookies are first-party cookies. They are referred to sometimes as first-party cookies used in a third-party context, which makes them more vulnerable to tracking protection measures. But they are not third-party cookies, that would completely change the definition.

I've responded in several other threads what to worry about and not worry about w/r/t cookies, please search for those.

Briana_Beatty
Level 1

A link to those replies would be super helpful.

Briana Beatty
Frank_Carpenter
Level 2

Dear Marketo Wizard 🙂 (you are indeed a wizard!)
Can you provide a link to your previous posts regarding Chrome cookies? My company is very concerned and I would like to impart your wisdom upon them. 

Frank Carpenter
Sr. Marketing Automation Manager
Five9 Inc.
(M) 631-561-8837
SanfordWhiteman

I plan to put a blog post together about the predicted real-world consequences of these privacy moves (which are themselves always changing and/or vague, making it hard to pin down a prediction). The Very Good News™ is the Munchkin cookie, now and forever, is a first-party cookie.