Attribution dilemma

Hank_Hansen
Level 5

Attribution dilemma

Our leads will lose their channel attribution (such as a paid channel)  when leads interact with sales in our chat service. Sales will enter a new lead manually in Salesforce when this happens. We can't capture UTMs or any other data in the Marketo record from the visitor as a result.

I have an idea for solving this:

1) Lead lands on a unique page on our site set up for a given channel. I would rather not use Marketo landing pages but I can if that would help solve the problem.

2) Lead is manually created by sales in Salesforce while they chat with the lead

3) A campaign sends the new lead an email with a free (gated) asset offer

4) A Marketo form on the landing page captures their name and email and adds their cookied activity since their visit (step 1). Conversions with this page in the activity history would be attributed to the given channel.

Seems viable? Is there a better/simpler approach for this?

Thanks for any thoughts!

- Hank 

2 REPLIES 2
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Attribution dilemma

You don't need to have them enter their name and email. The page can just have a button, since if you're sending from Marketo the link will be tracked and the session automatically associated.

However... it would be better to have is true integration of the chat widget with Salesforce, so the Munchkin cookie can be transported, via a Salesforce Lead/Contact field, into Marketo. Then a webhook can associate the anonymous session cookie with the known lead. You don't need to send them an email in this case.

Hank_Hansen
Level 5

Re: Attribution dilemma

Thanks, Sanford - right about the true integration. It's not available with our current tool so I'm trying to solve the reporting issue for now until we change tools.