Exhausted Content: When does it happen?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Exhausted Content: When does it happen?

When exactly does content become exhausted in an engagement stream? And when does exhausted become FALSE.

I am building some operational campaigns for moving exhausted leads to different streams and want to confirm the timing is correct so no week is skipped.

EXAMPLE: For simplicity, let's say we have a weekly cadence and a lead receives email #8 on Tues 8/19. Email #8 just happens to be the last piece of content in the 1st stream.

QUESTION #1: WHEN EXHAUSTED BECOMES TRUE?
I want to confirm A is the functionality so we can run weekly batch campaign that grabs all exhausted members and adds them to the next stream. This will ensure the exhausted member will receive stream 2's content starting Tues 8/26.

A) After a cast where the last piece of content has been sent.  In this example, the lead would become exhausted after sometime on 8/19.

OR

B) After a cast where there is no more content. In this case, at the next cast on 8/26, the engagement engine sees there is no more content and marks the lead as content exhausted on 8/26.

QUESTION #2: WHEN EXHAUSTED BECOMES FALSE?
As a followup, if the lead gets moved to to stream #2 where there is unconsumed content, when will Exhausted Content = False?

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Exhausted Content: When does it happen?

Great question. I always thought it was B, after the last Cast that had content for that lead. I assume this because of the Chart displays how many leads are close to Exhaustion.

So it knows that today's Cast is the last one and marks the lead exhausted=TRUE right after it sends.

Question 2 - When you add new Content to a Stream, Exhausted=FALSE. I know this because I can see it change as soon as I do that.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am really reluctant to say this because I am not completely positive and I am of the opinion that Josh is one of the smartest people in the communtiy...

I believe that the answer to the first question is Example A. We have a stream that we add an email to every week on Friday. After the send, the leads are all marked Exhasuted because there is no more content in the stream for the next cast. This is true until we add the next email and the leads all move back to exhausted = False.

We haven't had anyone miss an email yet. To me this indicates that the exhausted status is updated based on the absence of content immediately following the send, not following a missed cast.

Does that make sense?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have experienced leads being exhuasted when you run out of content for a specific stream in the engagement program.

You can still have members in the stream even though they ran through the content. This is why i believe Marketo is marking them as Exhausted. They should move to false upon transition into the new stream based on your rules or manual flow set and or when you add new content to that specific stream they are in. 

So to sum it up, I think Joe is on the right track for your first part. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

See update below.
Anonymous
Not applicable

To test if there is a timing issue, I am testing a lead today that received it's final piece of content. Will see if it adjusts to "Content Exhausted" overnight before the next scheduled cast where no content is left.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is some new info that suggests option A is correct. However, there seems to be an issue with Test Stream mode,

When I ran the engagement program normally, the nurture track became exhausted at the exact time the last piece of content was sent. In the test mode, it became exhausted at the time the cast was run with no content. These are two conflicting outcomes that should be documented.

Test Sequence in Live Mode
1) 6:50PM. Moved the lead to a Test engagement stream that contained a single piece of content via a standard change engagement stream campaign
2) 7:00 Ran a cast via the regular cast (NOT USING TEST) 
3) Immediately at 7pm, the lead became Content Exhausted after a single cast when the program sent the only piece of content. We didn't have to wait until the next cast.

To summarize, it appears the test mode works a little different than the live mode. This could be a limitation (or defect) within Test mode. Would love to hear someone from Marketo jump in to confirm the disprepancy.
0EM50000000SIbb.jpg

0EM50000000SIbW.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup, that's what i would expet to see jeff. Looks like A to me. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

It was my understanding that the test stream feature is meant to test individual casts, not simulate the behavior of a live engagement program. The difference makes some sense, but it would be nice if that last cast behaved exactly like a live stream.

So scenario A is the case, does that mean I can put a feather in my cap? 🙂