How to Handle Duplicate Lead Records with Shared Email Address

Travis_Wittenbu
Level 2

How to Handle Duplicate Lead Records with Shared Email Address

Hi Marketo Nation!

I currently have rules set up so that users can only run through our programs x amount of times, but I have noticed users will go our website and submit the form multiple times, creating duplicate lead records.

The rules to only email someone one time are not working because Marketo thinks these records are different people.

Thoughts? Anyone run into anything similar? I currently don't have Marketo forms on my site - maybe that will solve this issue. Perhaps I can also run some preprocessing on my leads list before the program runs to remove duplicates.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: How to Handle Duplicate Lead Records with Shared Email Address

I currently don't have Marketo forms on my site - maybe that will solve this issue.

Yes, Marketo form submissions dedupe on Email Address (unless you have a special compound key, but that's off-topic) and are more scaleable than any other option. What are you using now?

Travis_Wittenbu
Level 2

Currently we use a custom form that posts to Salesforce first. I want to use Marketo forms, but the form is actually pretty complex.

The form only contains 3 fields, but the last one is pretty tricky - 

• Email address
  • Phone
  • 'Product interest'
    • This field has about 30 different checkboxes separated into about 7 category labels, and the field outputs as an array for whatever users select.
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

'Product interest'
    • This field has about 30 different checkboxes separated into about 7 category labels, and the field outputs as an array for whatever users select.

Trivially assembled using the Forms JS API, surely.

Or you can post the Marketo form in the background using the data from the visible form. (Making sure to short-circuit the submit event of the visible form.)