Website with Munchkin code unresponsive during Marketo service down

Jeffrey_Tolhurs
Level 2

Website with Munchkin code unresponsive during Marketo service down

During last weeks Marketo service down (21 Nov 2019) our website, which has the Munchkin tracking code, became unresponsive. We had to completely remove the munchkin tracking code to restore access.

Do you have a fallback logic in the event where this happens again we won't have to remove the code or face any unresponsive issues?

6 REPLIES 6
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Website with Munchkin code unresponsive during Marketo service down

Which embed code are you using? The all-async mode is non-blocking, same as any other analytics library.

Jeffrey_Tolhurs
Level 2

The Asynchronous Munchkin Tracking code.

SanfordWhiteman

Doesn't make sense unless you have some other blocking code that depends on window.load. This is bad practice, is it's affected by any otherwise ignorable background task -- it essentially brings background tasks back into the foreground.

Now, if the Munchkin tracking server is down, but not the Munchkin JS library server (so Munchkin can still init) that would cause slowdowns in click response.

Jeffrey_Tolhurs
Level 2

That's what happened, the server went down last week and caused the slowdown on our site 

pastedImage_1.png

SanfordWhiteman

Yes, I'm aware of the incident itself, but I'm explaining that on its own the complete downtime of the Munchkin servers does not affect your site, only if you have other JS that is inadvertently dependent on all assets being loaded, even those assets that are otherwise non-blocking like the Munchkin library. 

I need to explain this further in a blog post, it's one of my longtime drafts:

pastedImage_1.png

Jeffrey_Tolhurs
Level 2

In our scenario, we experienced an issue with the tracking server. The click events would block the page from submitting.

We have no screenshots from the day, as we removed the Marketo code immediately once we found out that the issue was happening.

But we can reproduce it by pointing the mktoresp.com host to a slow-serving/erroring webpage (We used a localhost entry)

We see that the analytics tracking pixel attempts to fire immediately after the Marketo code.

Is this a blocking asset like you reference? Can you elaborate?

pastedImage_1.png