SOLVED

Best ways to associate multiple programs/campaigns with one landing page

Go to solution
Nik_Friedman_Te
Level 2

Best ways to associate multiple programs/campaigns with one landing page

I have some "evergreen" landing pages in production (email sign-up, request a demo, etc.) that tend to be secondary CTAs on a lot of collateral, so I'm constantly driving traffic there. Currently, I've been duplicating these landing pages for individual campaigns so I can add respondents and program status to the right things (e.g. if they request a demo from a given email campaign, they're marked successful in that email campaign, whereas if they're organic traffic to the demo form, they're added to the organic program).

Having multiple copies of the same LP is, for obvious reasons, a drag.

I've put some consideration into just using campaign URL parameters or something in order to identify traffic sources, but I'm not sure if that's a good plan. Is there a reason to/not-to just have smart campaigns of "filled out form XXX" with criteria of landing page URL contains "utm_campaign=october-email" or whatever?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Best ways to associate multiple programs/campaigns with one landing page

Well, that depends how you define "the same".

For example, if you use Program-level {{my.tokens}} to determine content, then 2 LPs that otherwise look identical (before token values are interpolated) serve different functions. Likewise for automatic Acquisition Program setting. (Not saying that's a good or bad idea, just pointing out that merely cloning an LP can make it substantively "different".)

Other than that, you're totally right to think about consolidating redundant LPs into one. If you can use the query string to distinguish them, I strongly advise it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman

Well, that depends how you define "the same".

For example, if you use Program-level {{my.tokens}} to determine content, then 2 LPs that otherwise look identical (before token values are interpolated) serve different functions. Likewise for automatic Acquisition Program setting. (Not saying that's a good or bad idea, just pointing out that merely cloning an LP can make it substantively "different".)

Other than that, you're totally right to think about consolidating redundant LPs into one. If you can use the query string to distinguish them, I strongly advise it.

Nik_Friedman_Te
Level 2

Those are excellent considerations. In this case, it's an identical landing

page, through-and-through. So it sounds like a query string is the way to

go.

So a follow-up question just on best-practices: Is there an easy way to

make sure there's a "catch all" that grabs a default success status if

nothing else matches? I was planning on having each program routing to that

page have a smart campaign to identify success based on a successful form

submission on the shared LP. But if nothing else matches, I want to make

sure that form capture is still routed properly for scoring and lead

assignments by default. What's the best way to check for "nothing else

liked that query parameter" for the shared page?

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 11:07 AM Sanford Whiteman <

SanfordWhiteman

There's no way to ensure that a catchall status is used only if nothing else matches, given that all of your matching campaigns are in different programs. You would need to consolidate your matching via a single "traffic cop" campaign in order to know you were in the catchall situation.

The principal reason this is necessary is that the trigger context of the initial Filled Out Form activity is lost as soon as you exit the initial campaign. If you could forward the trigger context in some way, then you could in theory have your programs listen to a change to another field. For example, save the full URL of the last form to another field, then trigger on Data Value Changes. It's not 100% reliable though -- consider multiple forms submitted by the same person in a very short period.

Nik_Friedman_Te
Level 2

"Traffic cop" makes sense. Should be easy enough to use that to request campaigns in the individual dependent programs so that the management of those campaigns remains centralized.

Thanks for the help, as always. You're a superstar!