jim jim lam Lam

Increase in Salesforce sync failures?

Discussion created by jim jim lam Lam on Oct 16, 2019
Latest reply on Oct 17, 2019 by Josh Hill

Has anyone else noticed an uptick in Salesforce sync failures lately/started some time last year? In our specific case, we are running into the Salesforce lock error when trying to add/change Salesforce Campaign membership: {UNABLE_TO_LOCK_ROW: unable to obtain exclusive access to this record or 1 records: XXXXXXXXX} The issue is predominantly in trigger campaigns, but may happen in batch campaigns (albeit a lot more uncommon).

I am very familiar with the error, and what causes it. So not really looking to troubleshoot the problem (unless you have a silver bullet). I am more interested in if anyone experienced an influx of these errors. My suspicion (that Marketo will not confirm nor deny) is with the Campaign v2 (CV2) upgrade, Marketo is hammering away at Salesforce more often, thus exacerbating the chances of record locking - especially ones where there is a master-detail relationship like campaigns/campaign members.

If you haven't noticed it or no one has reported any anomalies in campaign membership (or you'd like to validate my sanity), you can test this out yourself to confirm if there is an issue! To do so, you simply need to create a trigger campaign that changes a SFDC campaign status, and push through some leads. Just for reference, I've ran this in a sandbox instance with 100 records, and was seeing 5% - 20% error rate.

Outcomes