Engagement Program: how to trigger non open emails into new stream

Anonymous
Not applicable

Engagement Program: how to trigger non open emails into new stream

Hi

I have set up a program that has 7 emails to be sent on Wednesdays for 7 weeks. I was trying to trigger non-open emails into a new stream, let's say if someone doesn't open email 1, he would get pulled into stream 2 and would receive an alternative email string on Fridays. I tried to use the trigger "opens email; Email is NOT email 1". But that didn't trigger non-openers. Has anyone had a similar scenario and how did you trigger non-openers? or is the engagement program only working with positive behaviour, eg "has opened email", "has clicked link" etc?

Is the engagement program not necessarily the best choice for a simple email string sending with options of alternative emails to non-openers?

Looking forward to your input!
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Engagement Program: how to trigger non open emails into new stream

Just to make sure I understand- are you saying that after you send the first email, if they don't open it, you want to move them to another stream?
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Yes, I had to setup a series of child campaigns in the Engagement (not transitions).

Trigger: Email Is Delivered IS Email 1
Flow:
Wait 3 days (gotta give them time)
IF Smart List: NOT Opened AND NOT Clicked Email 1, then Stream 2

Your existing list says Opened Email IS NOT Email 1 and that will bring in everyone who opened ANY email other than Email 1, while using NOT Was Opened, will ensure we focus on those who did not Open Email 1. As does the Trigger

You can definitely do this with the Engagement  - it may be harder w/o it.

But I wonder why you want to push them to a new Stream so quickly? I had a client do something similar and it didn't really seem to help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

To Erik R: Yes exactly. But maybe I'm thinking this through wrongly?

To Josh Hill: Thank you. The time frame mentioned in my first comment was just a dummy, to show the example. We're actually waiting for 5 days. In regards to your input:

"Your existing list says Opened Email IS NOT Email 1 and that will bring in everyone who opened ANY email other than Email 1, while using NOT Was Opened, will ensure we focus on those who did not Open Email 1." I don't see a trigger that says "NOT was opened email" within the the list of the Intelligent List in the Stream Transition Rule. Would I need to create smart lists to identify these and use the trigger "was added to list"?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that is the crux of this. It's hard to trigger on not doing something, and right now you're triggering on open as described.

Instead, I'd set up a batch campaign that ran every night and qualified everyone who had been SENT that email, but not opened it.