SOLVED

Null as a Last Name

Go to solution
DJ_Erraballi
Level 2

Null as a Last Name

Noticed that if you enter "Null" as a last name, you register that a last name was entered but store the actual value as a Null type. Like the name : "John Null", cannot be saved in Marketo. I am trying to figure out how that would be possible and whether there is something exploitable here. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Null as a Last Name

Yikes, that means the last name now has that character and won’t match expected conditions.

The problem is there isn’t a way to both have a character (byte or series of bytes)... yet not have it... at the same time.

What you can do is temporarily set the value to something like “\“Null\““ (the escaped quotes are on purpose), then run the people through a webhook that sets the value to the true string “Null“ (it is an allowed value when the API sends it, so it’s not that Marketo doesn’t allow it as a last name, just that it’s hard to get it in there!).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman

Marketo reserves the four-letter string "NULL", case-insensitive, as if it were the unquoted keyword NULL. This is known behavior.

"Exploitable", not really, just frustrating under clear circumstances.

Note all form-encoded values are character streams, so given Marketo form logic *something* had to be reserved as the "emptifier" value.

BlaneMM
Level 2

The workaround that I found was to add an empty character to the end of the last name.
https://emptycharacter.com/

SanfordWhiteman

Yikes, that means the last name now has that character and won’t match expected conditions.

The problem is there isn’t a way to both have a character (byte or series of bytes)... yet not have it... at the same time.

What you can do is temporarily set the value to something like “\“Null\““ (the escaped quotes are on purpose), then run the people through a webhook that sets the value to the true string “Null“ (it is an allowed value when the API sends it, so it’s not that Marketo doesn’t allow it as a last name, just that it’s hard to get it in there!).

BlaneMM
Level 2

Good point.  I like your solution and I can use Flowboost 😉 to write the correct name into the field. (After I figure out how to make the API call via Flowboost.)
Thanks!