Flow of process as we've configured it:
- Lead/Contact comes to our website and submits a Mobile Phone Number  in our web app
- We push that Mobile Phone Number & a Hash of it to a CreateOrUpdate API call for those two Fields in Marketo db [We follow with a Custom Activity API push for the action they just took on the web app into that same Record/LeadID]
- Contact is then redirected to a Marketo Landing Page with Marketo Form and asked for F_Name, L_Name and Email Address [Mobile Phone Number & Hash are included in URL Query String and captured on hidden Form Fields]
- Contact submits that Marketo Form and is shown a "Thank You" Marketo Landing Page
As I suspected, the Form submission is creating a new Contact Record because that is first time Marketo is getting an Email Address. We'd like this Form submission to Append/Update the same record we created on the API call in Steps #1 & #2 above.
Two solutions I was hoping to possibly work and looking for any guidance here:
- We simply keep creating these "Duplicate" records and run a constant Smart Campaign in the background that de-dupes based on the Mobile Phone Number and/or the Hash we're capturing?
- I don't even know if De-Duping can work in background like that or would we be manually having to do these from the Duplicates "report" that Marketo generates? Maybe Sanford Whiteman has a cool tool that might work in that regard.