Context: in order to sync a lead from Marketo to SFDC, it's quite straight forward with a simple 'sync to Salesforce rule'. For Salesforce to Marketo, we control who syncs down (due to database limits). We do this by using a field called 'Marketing Verified' - only if this is checked, will a lead or contact sync down to Marketo.
We're having a few issues with duplicates which I am hoping someone might be able to recommend a work around for.
- Created a lead and a contact in SF, did not check Marketing Verified. So lead and contact did not sync to Marketo as expected.
- Created/imported the same lead and contact in Marketo (same email address) – with Marketing Verified checked but did not push over to Salesforce.
- Checked marketing verified email (true) on lead and contact records in Salesforce - so they synced to Marketo.
- Result: 2 x same lead records (same email) in Marketo (1 in SF) & 2 x same contact records (same email) in Marketo, and not connected to each other. 1 of each record in Salesforce as we did not sync original Marketo lead to Salesforce.
Why is Marketo not recognising that those leads/contacts already exist in Marketo? Does anyone have any work arounds/tools they know would stop this from happening?
- Created a lead and a contact in SF, did not check Marketing Verified.
- Created/imported the same lead and contact in Marketo (same email address) – with Marketing Verified checked
- Created a rule to synch to Salesforce
- Result: contact and lead did not sync as the SF duplicate rule kicked in. See below for error message. Not sure what the message even means for the lead error:
Can anyone shed any light on either of these instances and how we might be able to avoid? This is particularly important when importing event leads who may already be in either system. Also thinking about deletions in Marketo which could then be recreated, and generally when people forget to check Marketing Verified Email as true. It doesn't seem to be an issue when Marketing Verified is checked in both cases - they sync as they should and do not duplicate.
Thanks in advance.