Automate SFDC Leads being added to Marketo Campaign

Lori_Sullivan1
Level 1

Automate SFDC Leads being added to Marketo Campaign

Hi, I'm trying to find a way to automate Salesforce Leads being added to a Marketo Campaign through Marketo Sales Insights (MSI). Is this possible?

Most of the documentation online around adding a SFDC lead to a Marketo Campaign through MSI seems quite manual -- as in, a sales rep would have manually select an individual lead or group of leads in Salesforce and hit the "Add to Marketo Campaign" button.

Is there a way I can get a certain group of SFDC leads (based on meeting a set criteria) added to a Marketo Campaign in somewhat real-time without a sales rep manually triggering it? 

Thank you!

Lori

6 REPLIES 6
Jay_Jiang
Level 10

Re: Automate SFDC Leads being added to Marketo Campaign

That's what trigger Smart Campaigns are for where you define triggers and filters and a flow (action) so when people meet the criteria, they automatically run through the automation

Please explain your use case further

If you really just wanted to bulk add records to a salesforce campaign, in classic, go to the campaign and add members (search) using filters, in lightning, create a view or report using filters and add to campaign

If either of the above still don't meet your requirements, look into salesforce workflows or apex triggers

Lori_Sullivan1
Level 1

Thanks for your reply, Jay! I'm thinking maybe trigger smart campaigns might work? Please take a look at the full detail around the situation in my reply to Andy below. I'd love your input.

Andy_Paul
Marketo Employee

Hi Lori - could you tell us a little more about your use case and what action you would want to trigger a lead being added to a marketing campaign?

Jay gave some great options on how this can be achieved through Marketo triggers, but I want to make sure there isn't more to this request that we are missing. 

I am a product manager for MSI and always curious to learn more about our customers use cases.

Lori_Sullivan1
Level 1

Hi Andy, thanks! I am wanting to automatically add someone to a Marketo Campaign based on a trigger from Salesforce. Here's the situation: 

We're a SaaS company and one of our main leadgen sources on our website is requesting a product demo. Sometimes, however, prospects request the demo but never book a demo time with one of our sales reps. We want to put these people into a "demo request follow up" campaign in Marketo.

What I know about MSI (I think) is that you can add a SFDC lead into a Marketo Campaign pretty easily. BUT my problem is that all the docs make it seem manual - as in you have to select a single lead or multiple leads in SFDC, and click Add to Marketo Campaign.

I'm hoping to automate this, if possible. My questions are:

1) is automating adding a SFDC lead to a Marketo Campaign possible?

2) if so, what can I trigger off of in SFDC? we have multiple fields that track demo request info, and the demo info is housed in a SFDC custom object

Can I accomplish through a "trigger Smart Campaign" as Jay suggests?

Jay_Jiang
Level 10

There are still some details lacking, but with what you've provided here are some options:

• Create a standard Task subject that sales people choose from a picklist, if they have to log a task after an action, why not tie the smart campaign trigger "Activity is Logged " to the task
  • If you're adding people to a Salesforce Campaign anyway, Marketo can trigger off a Lead/Contact added to a Salesforce Campaign that's synced with a Marketo Program. If you have Salesforce devs in house, combine this action with an Apex trigger to fully automate the process.
  • Depending on how your custom object is set up, if it's related to the Lead/Contact or Account objects, you can sync it to Marketo and set up a trigger smart campaign when a custom object record is created for the person
Lori_Sullivan1
Level 1

Thanks, Jay! We'll try one of these approaches!