Workaround for Form Prefill

Karyn_Hill
Level 4

Workaround for Form Prefill

We're experiencing some trouble with our subscription center since the change to form pre-fill. If someone clicks the link in an email sent to them, everything is fine—as is expected with the change. But if they use the link on their personal account page on our website, the form can't show them what their current options are—as is expected with the change. This is causing some serious frustration with some of our members and has led some to just unsubscribe from everything, which is very much what we don't want to have happen.

Does anyone have a workaround so that our members can see which options they're subscribed to if they get to the link from a place other than a Marketo email? 

8 REPLIES 8
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Workaround for Form Prefill

The solution -- using my existing external site Pre-Fill library on Marketo pages -- is discussed at length on the other posts about the Pre-Fill change. Very surprised you didn't see it.

Karyn_Hill
Level 4

It's not on an external site, it's on a Marketo landing page.

SanfordWhiteman

Read my response again.

Karyn_Hill
Level 4

I read it just fine the first time around. Anyone else would have said something like "my solution for external sites works for that, too. You can find it in those other discussions about the pre-fill change."

SanfordWhiteman

Well, anyone else didn't get tired of typing the same thing in tons of other threads. And I was on a conference call at the time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's open-source, you can use it or not.

Karyn_Hill
Level 4

That wouldn't have been more typing, it would have been less.

I have nearly none of the knowledge a person needs to implement your solution, considering it's talking about all sorts of things that have to do with an external site and other things I don't know how to do. I can't upload a .js script anywhere, just to start with.

What would be awesome is if someone (you or anyone else) could break it out into things non-coders could understand. It's cool if you don't have the time to create instructions for people who look at your solution and barely understand what's there. But if you aren't going to do that, please don't talk about how easy it is. I have no doubt you could do this literally while you're asleep. I don't even know where to begin.

I'm not intending any offense but you come off as incredibly arrogant to those of us who are just trying to fix some problem that came up, through no fault of their own, but are working for a small, non-profit company that can't hire someone who knows how to do these things so instead sends the only person who knows HTML to try and figure it out. When you comment on a question I post, I leave the exchange feeling like a complete idiot. And you know what? I'm not one.

I would love to use your solution but I can't understand it. You may now rest assured that I'm aware you're a billion times smarter than I am, and that I will go to my boss and say "some guy has a solution but I can't understand it," guaranteeing that I'll go home today feeling like a failure. Kudos.

Where are the nice people, who actually want to help people solve their problems without having to make them grovel for it or feel like an idiot?

SanfordWhiteman

I can't upload a .js script anywhere, just to start with.

You can host the .JS file in Marketo Design Studio. Design Studio assets can have any type: .css, .js, .png, .pdf, .txt, even no type at all (binary streams).

The recipe doesn't require any original code... all the code is copy-and-pasteable from the blog. It does, I guess, require a comfort level with editing string values in code (to set your domain, for example). There's no way to get away from that obligation: no solution can work without being locked down to your domain(s), and you have to tell it what those domains are within your page.

If you have further questions, please ask them on the original blog post, where you can see I've answered questions from other users who've deployed the solution.

Jay_Jiang
Level 10