Should internal employees be able to unsubscribe?

Dawn_Beam
Level 2

Should internal employees be able to unsubscribe?

Hello.

My company uses Marketo to send internal email communications - from HR, Finance, etc.  Anything relating to company announcements we send through Marketo.

In the very near past, we've used Pardot.  Apparently Pardot required us to put an unsubscribe link at the bottom of all our internal emails, so now we have a large number of employees who have unsubscribed to our emails.  

I have 2 questions:

1. is the unsubscribe link a requirement for internal company related business emails?  wouldn't these fall into the operational category?

2. is it ok that I opt back in the people who have opted out in the past?  Is it HR's call to make it mandatory to receive all internal emails?

Thank you - Dawn

2 REPLIES 2
Cory_Gabor1
Level 4

Re: Should internal employees be able to unsubscribe?

Hi Dawn,

When sending internal company emails I had always taken the approach that these were operational, which means they did not contain the unsubscribe link. You may want to run this by legal or HR to double check how they want you to handle these. 

If it is mandatory from HR that these people receive emails, I would opt them back in. That is something that you will want to double check with your team on. 

Cory Gabor

Marketing Consultant, LeadMD

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Should internal employees be able to unsubscribe?

1. is the unsubscribe link a requirement for internal company related business emails? 

Definitely not. Those emails are the epitome of Operational, unless there's some internal policy requiring that employees can opt out. I can't imagine why such a polcy would be official, though. People can create filters if they want to ignore company announcements.

2. is it ok that I opt back in the people who have opted out in the past?  Is it HR's call to make it mandatory to receive all internal emails?

Yes, it's your company's call here. Marketo does not require you to include Unsubscribe links on these emails, and like I said these are probably the most genuiinely Operational emails there can be. Reading corporate communications is probably in the fine print of your employment contract.