Can we track the click of the download button on a PDF versus only the click in the email that takes the person to the PDF

Preeti_Kapasi1
Level 2

Can we track the click of the download button on a PDF versus only the click in the email that takes the person to the PDF

I want to know can we track if someone clicks the download button on a PDF and downloads the file vs just clicking ont he link to the PDF?

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Can we track the click of the download button on a PDF versus only the click in the email that takes the person to the PDF

I think what you actually mean is "... clicks the download button on the browser's built-in PDF viewer, such as Firefox PDF.js or Chrome PDF Viewer". Such a button is not part of the PDF itself.

The answer is no, because you have no ability to listen for click events on those buttons.

A Chrome bug accidentally allows certain phone-home behavior from PDFs in the built-in viewer, but it's a bug. Not to be relied on and soon to be patched. And still wasn't tracking the clicks on buttons in the viewer itself.

Preeti_Kapasi1
Level 2

Re: Can we track the click of the download button on a PDF versus only the click in the email that takes the person to the PDF

Thanks Sanford Whiteman‌ this was helpful. I someone thought we could track it. But unfortunately we cannot. Do you know if we can do Marketo Account Based Marketing without using  the ABM module?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Do you know if we can do Marketo Account Based Marketing without using  the ABM module?

That's a very different question, let's keep the answers in the other thread.

Also please mark your threads as Questions, not Discussions, because you're seeking a concrete answer.

Preeti_Kapasi1
Level 2

Sounds good thanks Sanford Whiteman‌ .