Limiting the number of times a prospect can fill out a form - best practices?

Jennifer_Glantz
Level 2

Limiting the number of times a prospect can fill out a form - best practices?

We are adding gated, downloadable content to our website. We have a unique use case in that content is actually our product, which is why we haven't previously used downloadable content for lead gen. The content a prospect can download is just portion of what they would get as a paid customer, but still a lot of valuable information that we fear may make someone feel like they don't have to pay for it because it's all right there on the website. Does anyone have any experience in limiting how many times someone can submit a form or download content? I reached out to support and they indicated that it would require custom development, so I'm trying to think out of the box a bit. I know I can limit how many emails one person is sent, but I believe that is just for one day - maybe week. Any thoughts?

3 REPLIES 3
Denise_Greenb12
Level 7

Re: Limiting the number of times a prospect can fill out a form - best practices?

Hi Jennifer,

I'm not so sure this is a great idea because someone may download the content and forget where they placed it and use your web site as an easy place to find it again. Plus you don't want to cause ill-will.

Having said that, are you trying to prevent someone from filling out the same form more than once or any form more than once? If it's any form, you could create a custom field - "Filled Out Form" and populate it with True the first time someone fills out a form. Then use the True/False value to send the person to a different Thank you Page for True vs False. This is in Form settings - use Add Choice:

pastedImage_0.png

You could follow a similar procedure if you want to prevent the person from filling out the same form more than once but if you have lots of forms it could get cumbersome. Whenever they fill out a form, append the form name to a Filled Out Form Text Area field. Then use Add Choice to make sure that Form Name "not contains" the name of the current form.

Denise

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Limiting the number of times a prospect can fill out a form - best practices?

Then use the True/False value to send the person to a different Thank you Page for True vs False.

One prob: if it's an embedded form, you won't have the Pre-Filled True value for the Advanced Thank You Page options... unless you're also using my cross-domain Pre-Fill JS.

You could follow a similar procedure if you want to prevent the person from filling out the same form more than once but if you have lots of forms it could get cumbersome. Whenever they fill out a form, append the form name to a Filled Out Form Text Area field.I

I agree, only I would use the form ID, not the name, since the ID is immutable.

Denise_Greenb12
Level 7

Good point on the embedded form, Sandy!