2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2019 10:10 AM by Christian Bogue

UTM+Java vs Cookies

Christian Bogue

Hi guys, wanted to ask the group about how they best set up their attribution. We've used UTM parameters but then lose the data if a lead/contact navigates away from the landing page. I've read that you can add some Java to your landing pages that "converts" or "copies" those parameters into the cookie for tracking even if they don't convert on that visit. Did I even describe that accurately? Does anyone do this? Is there a way to keep it all in the cookie?

As you all know we're pretty 1.0 right now and trying to figure out if these two options are used in combination with each other or are sort of a mutually exclusive one-or-the-other type model. What do we need to think about when choosing? Or does each method have a different application (UTM for Landing Pages, Cookies for native pages?)?

Appreciate any help or insight we can get!

Christian (and Leasha, too!)

• Re: UTM+Java vs Cookies
          Tara Dacci

HI Christian. I think the information in this article might be what you're looking for. Jenna Molby provides the javascript you need to put in your Marketo landing page templates in order to capture the utm values. I used this in the past and then added the utm fields as hidden fields in my forms but I think you could also make a smart campaign that is triggered by visiting any landing page where the url contains UTM_ and then capture the utm information in your flow step.

• Re: UTM+Java vs Cookies
              Christian Bogue

Thanks Tara D'Acci! Was there a link in there somewhere?

I think I'm keen to know the top-level options when choosing how to capture first touch and what the Pros/Cons are. That is, are there any drawbacks to the UTM Parameters model? Is there a straight "cookie data capture" model? And how do you choose? Would love to hear from the group (MUG is in 2 days anyway so we can wait til then) which ones they prefer and why.