SOLVED

New branding domain, all links in emails defaulting to old domain

Go to solution
Nicol_Maurer
Level 3

New branding domain, all links in emails defaulting to old domain

We recently added a new branding domain, in addition to our original domain--however we wish to keep these entities separate. In setting up an email send program, I have chosen the new branded domain for it to be sent from and inserted links to the new domain within the email itself. When I click the link from the preview screen it will navigate to the correct website. When I test the links from a test email, they all default to our original, incorrect homepage. Anyone dealt with this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: New branding domain, all links in emails defaulting to old domain

Nicol Maurer please return to this thread to read updates/mark correct.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
SanfordWhiteman

You will have to provide actual URLs.

Nicol_Maurer
Level 3

This url (with new branding domain) https://www.bizcashadvances.com/ is actually going here: https://www.balboacapital.com/, which is our primary domain's homepage.

SanfordWhiteman

Branding domains are click tracking domains. You do not traditionally (though it's technically possible, if you don't use it for a website) use the hostname www for the branding domain.

Neither of the domains you've provided are Marketo branding domains. Branding domains are DNS aliases that always have a corresponding CNAME record pointing to mkto-NNNN.marketo.com.

Nicol_Maurer
Level 3

Sorry, this is probably why support doesn't understand me either!!!

our primary is solutions1.balboacapital.com

our secondary, the one I would prefer this to navigate to is: solutions1.bizcashadvances.com.

In all my emails, I use the full https url appended with various tracking. Are you saying I should be linking it to the cname in the email copy?

Nicol_Maurer
Level 3

Nevermind--that didn't work either.

SanfordWhiteman

solutions1.balboacapital.com is set up correctly in DNS. It's a DNS alias with the CNAME mkto-sj010246.com.

solutions1.bizcashadvances.com is set up incorrectly in DNS if you want it to be a branding domain. It's a DNS alias, but the CNAME is balboacapital.mktoweb.com. This means it's been set up as an alternate Landing Page domain, not a branding domain. Its CNAME should be the same as solutions1.balboacapital.com's CNAME. All branding domains have the same CNAME.

SanfordWhiteman

Nicol Maurer please return to this thread to read updates/mark correct.