We just discovered a limitation of the audit trail today.
A email program was supposed to send about 100 emails and instead sent hundreds... of thousands of them. Everyone in the organisation is screaming and Marketo seems to be the perfect scapegoat.
This can only be a Marketo bug or a smart list error. The smart list is made of 2 "member of smart list" filters, the first one defining the target and the second one with a NOT IN defining the exclusion.
The most likely error being a "Use any" rule instead of a "Use All".
What we discovered is that the audit trail is of no help because the potential changes in the rule does not show in the audit trail. This is what it shows:
while the previous one one the same asset was:
Impossible to know what was changed... And waiting for a support answer, hoping that they will be able to tell us more.