Channels and Tags - Using it effectively

Anonymous
Not applicable

Channels and Tags - Using it effectively

Hi,

I don’t believe we are utilising the channels and tags function properly and therefore may be missing out on gaining the insight (bigger picture) into our campaigns.

Currently we are only using default programs and simply cloning previous programs, altering as required for all our campaigns (which were set up from our marketo consultants).

A set of progression statuses have been set for EVERY default program. e.g. for an email campaign, we have the following statuses: sent email; opened email; clicked a link; clicked a specific link (set us our success); fwd a friend; and unsubscribed etc.

I would like to use marketo to its full effectiveness and commence using the correct programs, whether it be emails, engagement programs for nurturing etc. Am i correct in saying that once i have correctly created the required tags and channels needed for all our campaigns, i no longer am required to create separate progression statuses as these have already been defined in the channels?

I can’t seem to find any articles on tags/channels which explains the logic behind this topic, if anyone could also point me in the right direction, that would be most helpful. 

Many thanks

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Channels and Tags - Using it effectively

I'll let one of the champions chime in on the logic and strategy for channels and tags.

Personally, I like to keep my progression statuses limited as much as the channel permits and have one success. There was a great article in the community of all the channels, progression statuses and successes that Marketo uses from 2012 that I used when we first started messing with channels and statuses more. I can't seem to find that page anymore.

There are default channels set up with progression statuses for each of those newer program types (engagement, email send). You may want to create new channels for them or customize the standard ones depending on your business and marketing goals.

There are a lot of great resources out there, but  here are two that you might find helpful:
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI Joe,
many thanks, i did see that article on Marketo's channels, progressions etc but unfortunately there was a link error: https://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000L5zfCAC
Anonymous
Not applicable

No problem, yeah, I created a discussion on it. I have noticed that with other articles. Hopefully they can fix it! That is a great article to reference too.
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Looks like they've deleted the Marketo's channels and progressions doc.  😞

https://community.marketo.com/MarketoDiscussionDetail?id=90650000000PvGRAA0