Installing Google Adwords Converion Tracking Tag on Marketo Landing Pages

Anonymous
Not applicable

Installing Google Adwords Converion Tracking Tag on Marketo Landing Pages

Hi Community,

I believe I set it up correctly (fingers crossed), but would like confirmation from someone who has dealt with installing Google Adwords conversion tags onto their Marketo landing pages. Basically, I have 2 landing page templates. One landing page is the landing page someone will be directed to if they click on the Google Ad. The second landing page, is the confirmation (thank you) page after they fill out a form and click a button.

From my understanding, I need to install the global site tag on both landing pages, correct?

The page we want to track, is the confirmation (thank you) page. This is the landing page I need to add the event snippet, with the additional onclick attribute? This instruction is where I get thrown off: "Add an onclick attribute directly to the code for the button or link you'd like to track. The code you use will depend on how the link or button is displayed on your site: as a text link, button, or button image."

Can someone please confirm where I should add the event snippet with the onclick attribute?

Thanks!
Jenny

7 REPLIES 7
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Installing Google Adwords Converion Tracking Tag on Marketo Landing Pages

Hi Jenny,

You have 2 possibilities that somewhat mixed in your question:

• You can track the visit to the follow-up page. No need for an onclick event here, you just need to add the tag to the TYP. See here for some tips on how to add some JS to a guided LP: Best way to add a script in a guided landing page​ but if this would become a regular need, I recommend that you use GTM for these needs
  • You can track the event on the form. But in Marketo, using an "onclick" event is not recommended. You should use the forms 2.0 API instead. See http://developers.marketo.com/javascript-api/forms/​ . In this case, the best way, if you use some guided LP, is to add the code to the LP template with some variables to activate / deactivate the GA tag and its ID

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your response! How come using an 'onclick' even is not recommended with Marketo? I am not a developer at all, so using JS is over my head and I am installing the tags based on the instructions given to me by Google Adwords.

Jenny

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

How come using an 'onclick' even is not recommended with Marketo?

• Because clicking the Submit button doesn't mean the form was ever submitted: it means that the form went into the validation stage, and if there are validation errors (required fields, field formats) the form will not submit, but you will have logged a submit on each attempt. See this thread from just yesterday: Progressive Profiling Form does not submit a POST request
  • Because even when the form is submitted, you cannot guarantee that the logging of the click event will complete before the page unloads and goes to the Thank You URL.

These aren't concerns specific to Marketo but actually to any HTML form.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Jenny,

if you are not a developper, I strongly recommend that you:

1. open a GTM account and install the "GTM Container" on all your LP templates, then approve them
  2. reapprove the LP's (at least the ones on which you need to see GTM working)
  3. roll out your GAd tag though GTM on the desired TY pages.
  4. Configure Adwords to use the display of the TY page as the conversion event.

-Greg

SanfordWhiteman

Yes and no -- you need to use tag sequencing if you want to bind GA and FB events to Marketo Forms, because otherwise you have a race condition between MktoForms2 and your event listener script.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

I was thinking more about using the hit to the thank you page as the event. I corrected my previous comment in that sense, it was not clear enough.

-Greg

SanfordWhiteman

Ah, then I agree! No race condition there.