Our company recently purchased Marketo and part of our process of changing over to a new automation was to add our existing integrations. One of these integrations we’ve been using in a manual process has been ZoomInfo for database enrichment. On a call ZoomInfo let us know they had a feature called, “Form Complete” that would enable automatic enrichment. This sounded awesome! We are new to Marketo so I didn’t know what to expect in terms of integrations. I found the process to be different than what I was used to… but it is intuitive enough that going forward implementing services should be easier.
A major conflict we ran into was that the instructions on the site: http://help.zoominfo.com/18441-formcomplete/installation-guide#product-overview just didn’t work. We inquired with ZoomInfo and questioned whether or not we should bring in a developer to get this deployed. During some downtime, I dove in to try to figure out what was causing the issue. I am creating this post to share our experience and help any others that might be looking for help with this issue. I did not see this posted elsewhere so either we were the ones that had the issue or this has not been discussed. I hope it’s the latter.
Follow the installation guide: http://help.zoominfo.com/18441-formcomplete/installation-guide#product-overview
Notes from Step 1.
- We discussed whether or not we should change the type to telephone or email in some cases but kept with the guide and left everything as a string. I am not sure about changing this but ours works find with everything left as string.
Red Flags from Step 1.
- When you get to the step 3: linking custom fields to webhook responses you need to know that the response attributes provided by links in the guide are incorrect. I ran the request in my browser and extracted the XML into a tree so I could read it a little bit easier. One of the first things I noticed that was wrong in the guide was the response attributes had incorrect attributes. In excel I had the response attributes in column A and the Marketo fields in column B, and find/replaced the incorrect values with the correct values. See below the attribute that I changed:
- Original: personMatchResponse.matchResults.personMatchResults.personMatchResult.personMatches.personMatch.personId
- Corrected: personMatchResponse.matchResults.personMatchResults.personMatchResult.personMatches.personRecord.personId
- I am not sure if this matters but we set the Webhook Custom Header as: Content-type for the header and the value as application/xml.
- Last note, refresh your browser repeatedly to avoid issues/errors between tasks.
Checking if this worked.
I didn’t know where to go to inspect if this worked. When I ran the request in my browser it seemed to work but I didn’t know. Once you have submitted a form with information (I used my work information on the form for testing) then you can check to see if it worked. If you are wondering, “Where do I check to see if my webhook was successful or if it failed?” I have some insight:
- Click the Superball > Marketing Activities.
- Navigate to the folder and then click on the smart campaign that runs your Form Complete.
- From the smart campaign click the top navigation menu item, “Results”.
- Find the most recent “Call Webhook” activity type and double click it.
- The Activity Details window will pop-up (check your pop-up blocker if it does not).
- Inside this window will be what you need to diagnose most problems. The easiest way to know if it worked or did not is that the Response Code should read: 200. This means it was successful in terms of sending and receiving the response in a way that the API accepted it.
- Anything other than 200 you should lookup with a Google search and investigate. I am not a developer but I know a 200 code means it went “okay.”
- Finally, click the Superball > Database, and in the quick find search for the unique contact record that submitted the form (In my case I looked myself up) to find the record that went through the Form Complete Webhook.
- Double click the right record from the view and that person record will load up.
- From the top navigation click, “Info” and scroll down till you see your custom fields you created in Step 1 (above). You should see the fields populated if all of the steps were completed successfully.
That’s it. Ours works now and we are happy. I hope this helps someone.