4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2018 10:36 AM by Jason Martin

Boolean Field Unsubscribing Existing Customers

Jason Martin

Hello,

I wanted to find out if someone has a solution / workaround for an issue we're experiencing.

For our customer contact forms, we have a Boolean field that allows customers to subscribe to our marketing communications. Due to laws in some countries we market to, we never have this field auto checked.

However, we are experiencing an issue in the following scenario:

• An existing customer fills out contact form
      • Existing customer is already subscribed to marketing communications, so they do not check the "Subscribe to Marketing Communications" check box every time they fill out a form
        • Note: We do not activate form prefill on this subscription box because we do not want to give the appearance of auto filling this for the customer, even though they are already subscribed
      • The form changes their True value in the Boolean field to False, effectively unsubscribing the customer, when this was not the desired outcome from the customer

There are only two ways I can think of to fix this, but I want to find out if there is a better way (e.g. have a boolean not submit a value, rather than always submitting a FALSE value when unchecked)

1. Instead of check boxes, use a select box with "Null / True / False" value options

2. Have a smart campaign that recognizes this behavior, then turns the value from False back to True, if the unsubscribe field is False.

Thanks

Jason