SOLVED

Can I include 'and' in smartlist trigger?

Go to solution
Mahurrinah_Sims
Level 2

Can I include 'and' in smartlist trigger?

Hello

I'd like to create a smartlist with the following trigger:

Visits Web Page

Web Page: is any

Querystring: contains 'ppc' and 'online printing'

Is this possible?

-Mahu

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Can I include 'and' in smartlist trigger?

The approaches so far seem to be all valiant efforts, but none of them will accomplish what Mahurrinah wants.

AFAIK, the only ways to accurately match on 2 independent parts of the query string for the same hit are:

1. Copy the query string into the hash of the URL (before Munchkin inits). You can then use "Web Page Contains" (since the hash is considered part of the Web Page in Marketo-land) plus a constraint on Query String.
  2. Copy the query string into the hash and pass {{Trigger.Web Page}} to a webhook.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Kevin_McMahon1
Level 5

A little more context would be helpful. Are they both used in a single querystring?

It both of those values are in the same querystring, then just include the entire string. For example:

querystring contains utm_source=ppc&utm_campaign=onlineprinting

If they are used separately, then use the green plus sign to add both values so either will be captured.

Nicholas_Manojl
Level 9

"It both of those values are in the same querystring, then just include the entire string. For example:

querystring contains utm_source=ppc&utm_campaign=onlineprinting"

hmmmm yes but, what if it was ?utm_campaign=onlineprinting&utm_source=ppc ?

"If they are used separately, then use the green plus sign to add both values so either will be captured."

That'd be OR, just to clarify, not AND.

Kevin_McMahon1
Level 5

yea I just wasn't sure how she meant the question so maybe that would actually accomplish what she was looking for, even though it is OR.

The image you posted shows filters, not triggers. Her asking for a trigger is what made me think it has to be either 2 values in one querystring or she wanted to include either, but not require both. I could be wrong though

Nicholas_Manojl
Level 9

Well you'd stick the trigger in there as just 'visits web page', after which the filters would be evaluated.

Nicholas_Manojl
Level 9

Good question.

I don't know, but if you could it would be like this:

pastedImage_0.png

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

The issue with this approach is the following:  Let's say the lead visited another web page a month ago with these same query strings - if so, they would still qualify.  In other words, these filters are not connected exclusively to the current "visits web page" trigger.

Nicholas_Manojl
Level 9

ahhhh you are very correct.

Nicholas_Manojl
Level 9

although.. hmm.. I took the date of activity constraints off to make it look neater.. perhaps I should have left them on and made them "today".

I'm still not sure it'd work though.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The approaches so far seem to be all valiant efforts, but none of them will accomplish what Mahurrinah wants.

AFAIK, the only ways to accurately match on 2 independent parts of the query string for the same hit are:

1. Copy the query string into the hash of the URL (before Munchkin inits). You can then use "Web Page Contains" (since the hash is considered part of the Web Page in Marketo-land) plus a constraint on Query String.
  2. Copy the query string into the hash and pass {{Trigger.Web Page}} to a webhook.