Find Empty / Unused Fields Across Database

Jesse_Richard
Level 3

Find Empty / Unused Fields Across Database

I have recently moved into marketing operations at my organization taking ownership of our Marketo instance. There are unfortunately hundreds of fields used, including many custom Marketo fields. I'd like to clean up our database and simplify the fields and data available, but at the same time, I do not want to remove fields that may be in use by certain SmartCampaigns. Is there a way I can easily:

1. Find all (if any) fields that have been created but are empty across the database
  2. Find all (if any) fields that have been created but are not being used across our instance
2 REPLIES 2
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Re: Find Empty / Unused Fields Across Database

Hey Jesse, the easiest way to find any fields that are empty across the database is to pull a spreadsheet of all records in your db, with all fields (not just those in the smart list view), then pivot the information. This will likely be a pretty heavy spreadsheet, so hopefully you don't have a Mac

To find fields that are being used in your instance, you have to look 1 by 1 through the field management section in admin, and see if there are any fields that are not linked with any programs, smart lists, etc.

No easy ways around this, but it's definitely an important thing to do!

Jaclyn_Driver
Level 1

Re: Find Empty / Unused Fields Across Database

Hi Dory, thanks for this - is this still the best way to pull this do you know? Have there been any updates that may make this a less painful process?