15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2018 10:33 AM by Erin Rustigian

UTM tracking

Christina Pappas

I have this URL built www.mineraltree.com/products/ap-automation-demo?utm_source=capterra and I have a campaign that says if any form is filled out and web page querystring contains Capterra OR referrer contains Capterra. Then add to campaign and sync to SF campaign.

It is not working. Any ideas? I cant add it at the form level since our forms are embedded on Wordpress pages so the utm has to be in the unique url.

• Re: UTM tracking
          Dan Stevens

Need a bit more info here.  Can you include a screenshot of your smart list?

Keith Nyberg

Hey Christina,

Maybe remove the constraint on your fills our form trigger and simply add a filter for UTM_Source = Capterra, then proceed to the flow step. This will trigger on any form fill, then look to ensure the UTM_Source is capterra before proceeding to the flow steps. Not as ideal as the process you outlined as that wont get triggered everytime, but only when appropriate. (could be a cool idea to add a custom field constraint to the fills out form trigger like UTM values)

Important to verify that your UTM parameters are being captured in Marketo on form submit as if not done correctly, could be the problem. Double check by submitting a test record and verifying the UTM source = Capterra. If that doesn't work and the field is not populated, double check how you are pulling UTM parameters into your form (via URL parameter, cookie, etc) and then correct.

My gut is that the query string constraint may not be as bulletproof as just using a filter for your utm value. So you could always submit a ticket to support and get their take on why that functionality isnt behaving as expected.

Sincerely,

Keith Nyberg

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                Chelsea Kiko

+1 to what Keith said. I was going to tell you the same thing, we always add the utm_source= filter as it closely examines that certain piece of data. Adding a query string 'catch' in my opinion won't always work the way you want it and you want to pay attention to the utm_source= filter anyway for reporting. If it isn't working properly, you'd want to know for reporting purposes.

Thanks!

Christina Pappas

Im not seeing a filter called UTM_source=

Chelsea Kiko

It is because you don't have those custom string fields set up. I would recommend doing so moving forward, but in the meantime, it looks like Dan had some insight below. If you need help on setting up those fields and integrating them with your CRM, let me know.

Keith Nyberg

Hey Christine,

You'll need to know the name of the field you are using to capture your UTM Source information.... this is a custom field you should have built that is hidden on the form and appended via URL parameter or cookie value on form submit. So the value goes from the URL into a field in Marketo. Most users name these fields UTM Source, UTM Medium, UTM Campaign.

If you're having trouble finding this field, I suggest you reach out to your Admin to understand where/how your UTM values of being captured on form submit. Could also see where this data is going by finding a record you know filled your form and looking in the Filled Out Form activity to see what fields were filled on submit. If UTM parameters are not show there where the other lead information is captured, you'll have to create the custom fields and add them to your forms as hidden. I would reach out to your admin before venturing down this road though as something should be in place.

Sincerely,

Keith Nyberg