47 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2018 11:32 AM by Fernando Garcia

Tip of the YEAR!

Shea Cibulsky

Share one thing you learned to do in Marketo that was a game changer. Something that rocked your marketing world perhaps or saved you time and headaches...The Marketing Nation Community wants to hear from you!  Spread your wealth of knowledge.

• Re: Tip of the YEAR!
          Amanda Thomas

I just started this year at new company taking on an existing instance. I did an audit of the instance and review of the database, and I plan to continue to do this every year. I think it's a great "tip" to share with others and encourage them to do the same. It really helps you evaluate

1. If what is running is necessary, or built in the most optimal way.

2. If what you are running is benefiting the departmental and company goals.

3. If you're lacking in leads for a particular audience or excelling in an audience that you're not fully marketing to yet.

Shayla McKnight

Tokenized templates!! Saves so much time.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                Fernando Garcia

I've been a Marketo customer on and off for well over 7 years, and every year, at EOY, I re-create and update a set of templates (email and landing pages), and make sure all tokens are updated. It makes for the easiest year when I can go from concept to content to send in less than 10 minutes. It usually takes longer to get approvals than it does to prep entire programs.

JD Nelson

Taking the time to put modules and variables in the email 2.0 templates have really saved me headaches with my marketers messing up code. It streamlines content options, preserves code, and can get pretty darn fancy. I now have one email template with modules for all channels (instead of unique templates per channel/layout).

Christina Zuniga

While training new users, use training not only to teach but to set up your instance in a way that helps you. I use a custom unsubscribe field so in Analytics the Unsubscribe number is not accurate and users run reports and then get confused. Instead, I teach new users to 'hide' fields in Analytics (hide column) and I have them hide unsubscribe. Once it was off of their reporting, they stopped being confused and reaching out. #GameChanger!

Eric Woll

Cloning programs to make things easier and quicker to set up!

Jasmine Kyles

Created several email template variations using email 2.0 templates!

Daniel Ferenc

Leveraging velocity scripting in order to display data from custom objects is really important, as this is the only way to show that data to the users.

Maggie Redmon

Daniel Ferenc, would you mind sharing examples? We have a lot of important data on related (Salesforce) objects. I can target on those objects, but I we can't see the specific values within Marketo. Our struggle has been that those are all 1:many relationships (lead can have many related cases and we have to reference a couple values, such as type and status to know which case has values we care about). I'm wondering if you're talking about Salesforce objects or Marketo custom objects and if this could work in a 1:many scenario. Also wondering where exactly you're showing that data. I've heard of velocity scripting for merging values into emails for example but I'm curious what you mean by 'show that data to the users'. Thanks in advance!

Dave Cunningham

I'd be curious to learn more about this as well. We have a bunch of CRM custom objects (Microsoft Dynamics) that we use velocity script with for our emails, but what Marketo end users can see / report on in the UI is very limited. We're basically only able to trigger/filter on the custom objects' (and their fields) GUIDs.

Chris Saporito

Stop emailing to inactive prospects in your database! By removing or no longer marketing to inactive people in your database, you will improve your sender reputation and ultimately help to increase your delivery rates. The people no longer engaging with emails could end up becoming spam traps and hurting delivery rates and sender reputation.

Nick Hajdin

On this note, I would recommend running a Decay program that captures all inactive users and then pushes them through a re-activation program to try and re-engage your audience, while also directing to a preference center. This will allow for a final opportunity to "win back" your audience before completely halting comms. If the subscriber does not engage with the campaign, you can choose to:

1. Pause communications and save for a future reactivation campaign
                                  2. Purge from your system, effectively keeping your database clean, while also keeping your contact volume down (saving you money on your Marketo contract!).
                                      Emily Hurn

Thanks for the tip! We are working on a big database cleanup project and this would be a great way to clean out inactive users in our Marketo database. Have you had success running this program? What was the preference center you pushed the audience to or was it more of an opt-out of communications Y/N preference?

Nick Hajdin

It depends on what you consider "success". For data cleanup and getting rid of inactive subscribers, we've had success. There is the strong possibility that you will lose significant volume - but these are people who are not engaging and should be suppressed anyway. As long as you value quality leads and engagement over volume, I would consider this type of program to be successful.

As for the preference center, you can direct to a page that allows the subscriber to select what types of communications they want to receive, which is dependent on the types of communications you offer. For example, specific products, industry, areas of interest, etc. This will require more sophisticated segmentation for your campaigns but improves the UX. You can also give the subscriber options to select the frequency of communication, in the event that they are receiving too many emails from you. The preference center is an effort to keep your subscribers engaged rather than having them opt out - but you should definitely give the clear option to unsubscribe if that is their preference.

Chelsea Kiko

For my old organization, it was setting up and utilizing MSI to its full potential - we had way too many one off email blasts that were going out on behalf of a sales member, rather than educating on MSI. So, meeting with sales over and over to present and educate how to use MSI and promoting to use MSI with every big campaign/event promotion really cut down on my team's work. Sales was excited to use the tool and see insights from their leads/contacts.

Marcie Fontecchio

I started using Snippets and Tokens in my Nurture emails to indicate the email sender as the lead's sales rep, and then when one sales rep quit, replacing the "From" name and email signature on alllllll those emails was a snap!

Maggie Redmon

Love this thread, thank you for starting! My favorite discovery this year was the ability to add smart lists as columns in Lead Performance reports.

Eunice Leung

We started using Marketo a year ago. While a lot of capabilities are new to me, I ran into the challenge of tracking Google paid ad performance precisely rather than relying on the hit or miss gclid value. The posts on the community related to how to track Google ads really helped save the day. From there, I set up the related hidden fields on all forms to capture UTM parameter values from ads, and placed java script on our website. I am now able to tell which lead is generated from which Google Ad. And we utilize this set up to track led gen from third-party websites.

Kevin McMahon

We made the move to a dedicated IP. It was a lot of work and a long process, but we've been seeing the benefits in our email deliverability rates since.

Amy Connor

Universal Tokens! It was something I meant to do at my old company but never did. When I started this job in June, we developed new email templates (they were still on Email Editor 1.0 for some reason). At the same time, we created Universal Tokens for the footer and put them in the email templates. When I got to work today, I just updated the date in the Universal Token—no template editing or mass re-approving of emails!

Universal Tokens in Marketo – Are you using them? | Grazitti Interactive

Marketo-Fu - Episode 26: Universal Tokens - YouTube

Nick Hajdin

When syncing data from Marketo to SFDC, it is important to control what data is synced, when data is synced, and how data is synced. Tips and considerations to increase sync speed:

• Hide any unnecessary fields from the Salesforce integration user: Marketing doesn’t need all the fields that are available in your Salesforce instance. Identify the fields marketing needs and hide the rest from the Salesforce integration user.
                                                  • Hide unnecessary records from the Salesforce integration user: Does marketing need to see all the records? Hide some of the records by hiding them from the Salesforce integration user.
                                                  • Do batch updates at night or over the weekend: If you’re doing bulk data updates, do them at night when marketing programs aren’t running. Consider running nightly batches with filters rather than triggers.
                                                    Loren Posendek

Something that's saved us time and time again are data program alerts. Like many instances, we have numerous operational programs built for data management (appending, updating, etc.). We also have alert programs built to alert us (marketing ops) when data is missing and/or inappropriate for specific use cases. These alerts have allowed us to continue to evolve the programs and ensure our records are getting to the right people in a timely manner.

Kristy Murphy

Manage the hygiene of your database. We use a template that I found on a champion project. This is the template and we just built in thresholds.

Kristy

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                                                        Valerie Whiting

Not sure why I didn't know this one before, but this year I learned how you can add custom columns to People Performance Reports. This has saved me so much time on exporting several smart lists and running pivot tables!

Michael Mason

Recently, we learned that there were leads not getting to our Sales Queues because we clone too many forms and certain conventions were not always followed. To combat this, I'm creating a single form that will be placed within our guided templates so we don't have to update 40 some-odd forms and programs to make sure all of our plumbing works.

That being said, I would also add that having a documented flow (via a PPT or Visio) is helpful to explain to SFDC admins, marketing managers/directors, etc who may not understand the Marketo lingo, but will understand a visual of how data flows between the two systems. 

Helen Abramova

It's probably a bizarre tip, but works so well for me. If you have something bothering you in the back your mind - a tiny detail, something weird / out of line, some kind of flip you don't get - do NOT ignore it!

In the majority of cases, there is something really wrong, and you can prevent bigger problems if you start investigating it right now.

Macarena Mazzeo

I would say before creating any type of Program think about what are you trying to achieve by doing so. Always set up objectives, otherwise people tend to think the more they build the better, rather than building a few Programs that are strategically planned. Also, after you build it, make sure you review its performance and if objectives were met. Try learning from it, both good and bad lessons, and use these to optimise present and future initiatives

Courtney Grimes

- Shout out to Jessica Cross: being able to filter out "reason is not: Lead Merge" on value changes and program statuses.

- You can create custom types of Interesting Moments, which is especially useful when sending moments to several different teams

- Seemingly obvious, but I never put two and two together: in addition to pushing transactional email data in a token via API, you can basically push...anything into a token if you want to do dynamic creation/changes if the token works in a flow step.

Michelle Tiziani

I created a spreadsheet starting on October of last year for the most important things I track yearly, which I will be using again, because it kept me organized and it was a big time saver while I went on vacation from December to the first week of January:

All of the active campaigns that need to be deactivated on the first week of January.

All of the active campaigns that need to be cloned and activated the first week of January. 

Set stream cadence for newly created streams for 2018.

Update specific Landing page for content updates.

FAQ check and Update email content for Renewals, Conversion Series and nurture emails.

FAQ check Alert and confirmation emails. 

Test redirect URLs that are still active.

Review promotional programs that underperformed and archive.

Purge unused email and landing page templates.