1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 22, 2017 10:05 AM by david hickman

Can I cookie a user with an email link?

david hickman

Hi.  New Marketo user here.  I've been searching for and finding conflicting info and can use some help.

I have lots of people in my Marketo DB but very few show up on my Known Users Web Page Report - but I know they are visiting.  I think this is because most have not filled out a marketo form on our "new" website and thus have not been cookied.  If they are already in my database, can't I send them an email with a tracked link that would allow me to cookie them as a known user (not anonymous)?

The docs say the user has to fill out a form.  Yet, I had a problem 2 weeks ago where my forms were caching registration information for someone else.  Nobody else saw this so further research suggested that I may have clicked on a link in an email that was sent to someone else and thus I ended up with their cookie.  I certainly didn't type in his registration information into a form.  So, it would seem possible that I could send someone an email and if they clicked on the link, Marketo could drop a cookie, right?

Unfortunately, I've not been able to do this with my testing.  I cleared cookies from my browser, created a new person in my database using a personal email address, created a new email and made sure that Track Link and Include Mkt_tok was checked when I inserted the link to my most recent blog post and then sent myself an email.  I got it, opened it and clicked on the link but when I look at the Activity Log for this user, my activity is not recorded and when I go to a blank form, it does not prefill like it should.  So, it would appear that I was not cookied in the process.

Any advice on whether this should be possible and where I can find out more info on how to do this properly?

Thx, Dave