21 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2017 11:46 AM by Sanford Whiteman

Selecting an Nth of a file - Please help ASAP

Dave Berry

Hi,

Need some help on this.  I'm creating a smart campaign to select an NTH of a static list to mail over the course of several days.  I want to be able to mail new names from that list over consecutive days, without repeating people that received a message the day before.  Eventually all should be mailed from that list at least once.  Here's what I have so far:

WHO:  Member of List:  List Name

What:  If Random Sample is 5% then email:  EMAIL Design Concept X

Default Choice: Do Nothing

When:

Campaign Status:  Not Run

Smart List Mode:  Batch (shouldn't it be Trigger??)

Smart List Status:  Affecting XXXX people

Smart List Reoccurrence: 

Repeats every weeks on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday

End date:Oct 13, 2017

Next three runs:

Oct 10, 2017 12:35 PM EDT

Oct 11, 2017 12:35 PM EDT

Oct 12, 2017 12:35 PM EDT

In any response can you please include screenshots of how I should adjust the format/setup?  What might I be doing wrong?  This would be so much easier if Marketo had a Throttling option for email sends.  I'm hoping this approach will work.
      Any help is greatly appreciated.
      Thanks.
      Dave
        • Re: Selecting an Nth of a file - Please help ASAP
          Drew Smith

Hi Dave,

As with many things Marketo, there are a few different ways to accomplish this. Based on the setup you have described below, the path of least resistance is to add two flow steps to your campaign. The first flow step you're looking for is "Wait"... give it a few minutes. The second flow step you're looking for is "Remove from Flow" with a constraint of "Was Sent Email" or "Was Delivered Email".

Basically, what you need to do is to wait a few minutes for the email to be sent/delivered (wait time should be determined by the number of people you're sending to) and then removing anyone that received the email from the flow so that they can't be sent the email a second time.

The results of this are, the first send will pull a random sample of your starting list. The next send will pull a random sample from the 95% remaining, and so on. It essentially creates a waterfall type of effect where the list you're pulling the random sample from slowly decreases after each send.

Make sense? Let me know if you have any other questions/concerns. Thanks!

Drew

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Selecting an Nth of a file - Please help ASAP
            Sanford Whiteman

I agree with Drew that that's one way to do it, but I have a particular dislike for arbitrary/approximate wait steps and believe waits should only be used for positive purposes, i.e. waiting 7 days to send a follow-up email. The other problem is as you winnow down the list you have to constantly recalibrate the percentages, it won't be 20% followed by 20% because your population has grown smaller so the percentage needs to be higher to send to the same count.

My way of approaching this would be a single Add to List step with choices for each random sample (i.e. 20, 20, 20, 20, Default where N = 5) that adds to N lists. Then those lists are immediately ready for sending independently.