6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2018 7:44 AM by Marcy Chandler

Resource Download form

Nora Mendenhall

Can I use one form for multiple resource downloads? Or does each resource need its own unique form?

I have 6 white papers to download and I would like to capture lead data (duh) by using a form for a download but I'm not sure if I need to use a unique form for each one.

Thanks!!!

• Re: Resource Download form
          Keith Jensen

Hi Nora - you can use one form for multiple resources. In your smart campaign trigger, add a constraint for "Web Page" and filter on the page they're coming from. Here, we actually parse the URL from the page with some javascript and pass it in a hidden field so we can do some additional things with the data. We only have a few different forms for our entire site.

Nora Mendenhall

So follow up question ( 6 months later), how do you define in the form what resource actually downloads? Does that make sense? Or in a smart campaign do you have the resource sent in an email?

Marisa Rybar

Hey Nora,

You can use the same form across multiple landing pages. To define what resource the form actions on, in your smart campaign include "fills out form" and add a constraint: either web page or query string (depending on how you have your landing page set up).

With regard to defining in the form what resource actually downloads:

• You can define the page that the person redirects to, and you can include a pdf link on the redirect page for immediate access to the asset.
                  • At the same time, you can have a smart campaign listening for that person to fill out the form (don't forget your constraint), and when that trigger occurs, send them a follow up email that also contains a link to your asset.

Does that help answer your question?

Marcy Chandler

Nora, were you ever able to figure this out? I am trying to do something similar and having a hard time.

The landing page is a non-marketo landing page. I have a dropdown that I am using and will have 8 different choices for options of downloading.

Thanks!

Keith Jensen

Hey Marcy Chandler,

Do you have separate landing pages for each resource or is it a single page and you want them to use the picklist to choose? I would probably go with Marisa's comment above where instead of having it controlled by a form field, you can send them the resource directly with a trigger campaign after the form is submitted based on the URL.

Regardless, I would try to avoid using picklists for that function, because it would be difficult for the prospect if they want to download multiple assets. If you're okay with using a single form conversion for all the choices, you could remove the picklist and redirect them to a page that has direct links to all eight. Not the most elegant solution, but it would work. Here, we have some custom code that controls the redirect of the form submission based on what page you're on so a single form can be used on all of our content pieces.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,

Keith

Marcy Chandler

Hey Keith -

I wasn't going to put them on different landing pages. I just have links to the PDFs/excel sheets. Typically people will only download one of the calculators. They won't need more than one of the files.

For this, how would this be set up?

I would probably go with Marisa's comment above where instead of having it controlled by a form field, you can send them the resource directly with a trigger campaign after the form is submitted based on the URL.

I don't really want to use Marketo Landing pages and we aren't able to hide a page on our CMS system so people would just be able to go directly to the downloads page without filling out the form. So I am hoping to control it all by the form.