Set up a Hidden Field

Anonymous
Not applicable

Set up a Hidden Field

Hi All,

I've a banner on a third party website, clicking on which takes someone to our website, which has forms - filling on the forms generates alerts that goes to our inbound team.

The Question is -  I need to distinguish between the alerts that gets generated when Lead directly fills out the forms on our website vs when they have been referred form that third party site on to ours and fill out form.

(The link from the third party website to ours is UTM tagged with utm_Source=CA%10 and utm_medium=CB) But the utm tagged url stays only if the lead has landed on it as so as they start navigating on our website the url goes n its just our website url

Could anyone help me set up the hidden field that I can put as a token on my alert email? That tells the sales team the referrer URL was the "UTM tagged URL" and set a default value as "Source = Test Lead".

Thanks,

22 REPLIES 22
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Set up a Hidden Field

You'll need to use some kind of attribution library to maintain original info throughout the subsequent web session(s). Search LaunchPoint for ConversionPath and a few others.

Gerard_Donnell4
Level 10

As Sanford said above you will need some type of attribution solution. You should also think about removing the menu from the landing page.  A true landing page should have no menu and the only action the person should be able to take is to complete the form. This will increase your conversions and stop people getting side tracked and browsing your website.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

can anyone please help me with how can I make the UTM tagged URL persistent throughout the session, so that we do not lose the inital source of the user and can set up the hidden field on the form as campaign source and parameter UTM_souce and then use it as a token on my alert email.

I have worked around a workaround by creating a smart campaign that checks if user has visited the page (UTM tagged URL) in the time frame today then change data value campaign source = "CA" and then added the campaign source token on the alert email. I'm not sure if this is the right approach...

Thanks

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Like I said above... search LaunchPoint for comprehensive solutions like ConversionPath and a few others. These apps automatically manage the UTM attribution lifecycle (so you don't need to add hidden fields in Form Editor, this is all done for you), including tracking sessions by referrer domain, referrer UTMs, and target UTMs across multiple touches.

Yanir Calisar also recently posted some simple JS to persist UTMs to cookies.

Yanir_Calisar2
Level 3

Thanks Sanford Whiteman

Hey Addy Sharma

Check out this Javascript that captures both first touch and last touch UTM params and stores them in the top level domain ( .yourdomain.com):

UTM Capturing and Storing in Cookies

Anonymous
Not applicable

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

I get the above, accessing the link

Yanir_Calisar2
Level 3