6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2018 2:18 PM by Andrew Chan

Can I sync Marketo to a new Salesforce instance?

Jay Wei

Hi everyone,

Newbie question here. I am about to sync Marketo and Salesforce. But before doing so, I see this image below. My question is this: My team currently shared our Salesforce instance with a larger team at work. We are exploring the possibility of having our own instance by the end of this year though. My concern is, that if I sync with Salesforce now, and then a few months later our team has our own salesforce instance, does this mean I can't sync with the new instance? Any insights would be greatly apprciated!

• Re: Can I sync Marketo to a new Salesforce instance?
          Darrell Alfonso

Hi Jay,

You are correct, you will not be able to sync it to another salesforce instance.

You will have to get a new marketo instance, and migrate to that first.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            Jep Castelein

I realize your post is from last year but wanted to provide an update for later reference. Marketo has developed a 'remove crm sync' tool, which is currently still experimental. It removes the SFDC (or MS CRM) sync from Marketo, including all Opportunities, Company records, Sales People, SFDC Campaigns and SFDC Activities. It can then be reconnected to another SFDC instance.

The 'remove crm sync' tool is currently still 'experimental', meaning that it is not officially supported. So far we have seen good results: it can be used to remove a native sync, then create a custom sync via the REST API. It also can be used for changing from one SFDC instance to another (or Microsoft CRM), going from SFDC to MS CRM and vice versa.

Switching between SFDC instances is more work than removing an old SFDC sync, because the switch also requires extensive field mapping and deduplication of new records. There is still a fair bit of work involved, but it's a lot easier than moving to a new instance, and most importantly it retains all activity data.

If - for whatever reason - the tool doesn't work for your particular Marketo instance, it may still be necessary to migrate to a new instance. However, so far that hasn't been necessary.

NOTE FROM  EDITOR: 

AS MENTIONED, THIS TOOL IS EXPERIMENTAL AND NOT IN PRODUCTION.

MARKETO SUPPORT WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ENABLE OR SUPPORT THIS FEATURE.

FOR INFORMATION ABOUT THIS, PLEASE REACH OUT TO SERVICES@MARKETO.COM.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              Grant Booth

That's awesome Jep! I'd been under the impression that trying to remove a CRM sync was sort of like trying to remove this:

latest?cb=20161110195801
              Congrats to your team for pulling it off without spraying molecular acid all over the leads @marketo ++

2 of 2 people found this helpful