How to pull Smart Campaign execution status

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to pull Smart Campaign execution status

Hi,

We have a use case where few of the daily campaigns are dependent on the completion of other campaigns in that day.

Is this something that can be done within Smart Campaign flow?

I was also doing some research on finding an API that can pull campaign execution status, but unfortunately I couldn't find anything relevant that can serve the purpose.

Appreciate if anyone can share on how you have done this.

Thanks ~

9 REPLIES 9
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: How to pull Smart Campaign execution status

There's no endpoint for this.  Such dependencies are expected to be managed via the UI, i.e. with Request Campaign ​flow steps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Sanford Whiteman

Does that Request Campaign flow steps wait for completion of steps defined above?

For example with this screenshot below, would step-2(Run another campaign) wait for successful completion of step-1 (Sent Email to members of Campaign)?

pastedImage_0.png

SanfordWhiteman

"Successful" is a bit broad, but yes, a lead will only progress to Request Campaign after their email has been queued on the Marketo side.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Right..

By successful, I mean all qualified members in that campaign have been processed and sent with an email.

I did a small test and seems like the flow doesn't wait for processing and kicks off the next flow step right away.

SanfordWhiteman

Of course. Flow steps execute lead-by-lead. It would not be practical (in fact, impossible) for Flow steps to wait for all leads to successfully finish all previous steps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's really helpful to know.

I thought the batch smart campaigns process leads in batch mode and trigger campaigns execute lead-by-lead, so my understanding wasn't right?

The use case/Problem Statement: Campaign-B is dependent on completion of Campaign-A, if leads already have been sent with Campaign-A in the day then Campaign-B would not be sent.

This is a very simple example, but challenge is we have so many campaign dependencies with similar concept and I'm looking to find a simple and practical solution to cope this.

SanfordWhiteman

I thought the batch smart campaigns process leads in batch mode and trigger campaigns execute lead-by-lead, so my understanding wasn't right?

Batch SCs gather leads in bulk based on historical field/activity filters but execute in parallel at scheduled times.

Trigger SCs gather leads individually based on real-time activity monitoring and historical filters and execute for the lead at (roughly) the time of the triggering activity.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I got the difference between Batch and trigger SC's in terms of lead gathering.

In terms of execution if first flow step gets failed, would the next flow step still kick-off for that specific lead if it's triggered SC?

What if same happens for Batch SC? i.e. 100 leads were qualified in batch SC and 50th lead was failed in first step, what happens for the next flow steps.?

SanfordWhiteman

In general, the "failure" of a Flow step is not a Marketo concept. For example, even if a webhook call fails to connect to a remote endpoint, that's still a completed step.

Exception handling can be done via other campaigns. In the webhook example, if you have a Webhook is Called trigger SC, that second SC can determine what should happen next based on the actual result (404, 500, timeout, response value) of the call. The second SC can remove the lead from the first SC's flow (provided there's a Wait Step that might be keeping it in the first SC). Or the first SC might end with the webhook call, then the second SC picks up from there.

Exceptions can also be handled in the same campaign: for example. by using Remove from Flow + Add Choice you can make conditions that might be due to changes made in earlier steps.

What if same happens for Batch SC? i.e. 100 leads were qualified in batch SC and 50th lead was failed in first step, what happens for the next flow steps.?

Again, defining "failure" is up to you,  You might branch a subsequent step based on whether the lead Was Sent Email in the past, so a hard failure (or skip) of the Send Email step would mean they wouldn't qualify later. Of course when you reuse emails this gets trickier.