How to route non-opens in nurture back to the beginning?

Siri_Olsson
Level 1

How to route non-opens in nurture back to the beginning?

We are currently running a nurture program with 3 streams and want to route all the non-opens back to the beginning. As you may have guessed, I ran into the problem of these leads being considered "Exhausted" and would not be sent another email.

I tried created a second "Awareness - Non-Opens" stream, but this also considered these leads as "Exhausted".

Do you know of any solutions for this? Or is the only answer to create a new nurture program to move these leads who didn't engage with our first nurture program to?

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
Jim_Thao7
Level 9

Re: How to route non-opens in nurture back to the beginning?

Ideas:

You can create a new stream and a clone of your emails and add them.  New Stream + New Email Asset (which is the same email since it's a clone). 

Another thing you can do is create a program and smart campaign that will perform the send of the email.  In the smart list, you can filter out records that have already opened the email so they won't get it again.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I always question this tactic - if they didnt respond to the original X number of emails, why would you send the same ones over again?

The system is designed for you to add NEW emails at the bottom and keep the system running with fresh content.

Also, it is ideal to prune non responders every 6 months. Yes, it makes your list count low, but why send to people who dont care?

Siri_Olsson
Level 1

Thanks Josh for your answer!

I understand what you mean, though this is a request from upper management.

Based on what I've experienced today and your response, I can now conclude that my only option is to make a "Phase 2" Nurture Program?

Luke_Wotton
Level 4

If you're using a simple email in the nurture stream the following works, but is rather horrendous as it makes Marketo work hard.

Have a trigger outside the engagement program called "Resend Email 1"

Smart List - "Email is delivered "email 1"

Flow - Wait 7 days, if "email 1" has not been opened then resend email "1"

Due to this being outside of the program the email will get resent as it won't follow the usual rules of the engagement program.

However if you have tonnes of these triggers it can cause havoc on your instance.