4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2018 2:26 PM by Sanford Whiteman

Original source info, original source type & original referrer - which does what?

Carly Stevens

I'm trying to get the info that all marketers want...

To be able to see where a lead has come from (direct, organic search, email, social, etc), then essentially follow them the whole way through their journey with us from unknown > known > MQL > SQL > customer.

Struggling a little with the way that Marketo presents some of the info at the front end of this journey, if at all. Pulled a lead report with the following fields - original source info, original source type & original referrer. Question 1, Which field does what? Question 2, What is the source of truth? An example (which lots of other leads follow) below seems to be somewhat contradictory:

Question 3, Which came first? Have they come from a bing natural search as the original referrer suggests, or from a list import?!

Question 4, Then there's lead source - how does that differ?! With the same example above, that lead's source is 'Web Form'. So I'm being told 3 different things essentially...they came from a list import, a bing natural search, and a web form!?!? What?!

I can of course see this information in Google Analytics, but can't see the actual lead it relates to, it's just a count. So if people have use cases where you can somehow connect this info into Marketo then great? I won't even mention our CRM holding the final piece to the jigsaw...

A take on how others are tracking that whole journey would also be interesting...